Can You Eat Hedge Apples?

Are hedge apples OK to eat?

By William

Best Answer

No, it is an ornamental item, we use in the house for bug deterrent. Also known as horse apple and hedge balls here.

Also good for pet orders in the house

I have been reading and there are a great deal of people that will differ with you on that comment.

Many believe it is a cure for cancer.

In addition, they are safe for humans to eat.

Hedge apples have been found to actually cure cancer. They make the body alkaline and cancer cant live in an alkaline body. Google hedge apples and cancer. They are not poisonous.

Freeze them solid and grate the frozen hedge apple for two tablespoons a day. Follow with a glass of water. They arent the best tasting fruit, a mix between cucumber and avacado? But health wise they are a gift.

Anonymous

The seeds are edible.

Anonymous

Yes they are ok to eat! People with cancer have been eating them and their cancer slowly disappears, it has been said they are posionous because livestock eat them and suffocate on them when it gets lodged in their throat....

Hedge apples ARE okay to eat...

Anonymous
Best Answer

I use them whole every year. About 20 to 25 of them under the furniture and sink, in the closets. They do work, and they don't rot if you don't cut them.

They just shrivel up. I got them last week and put them out. Never had gnats or any problem. Just use them whole.

I have never had any success with them being a pest deterent in ks.

Where can I find them and Kansas somewhere I know but what's the town

I am deathly afraid of spiders and I can't wait until they are in season and I can buy some at the farmer's market. I put them on a paper plate and set them all around the basement. After that, I do not have a bug problem. I recommend this to all our friends and they use the hedge apples too!

We have a lot of hedge balls near Manhattan, Kansas. I'm sure we would be happy to share.

email: ddrrmm@hotmail.com

I agree with Grandma, we call them Hedge Apples or Osage Orange. The idea that they help to keep bugs away from your home is a misnomer though. Google it, you will find it is not true.

If you soak them in water, the seeds will fall of easily. The seeds are the only part of the fruit that is edible. They taste like raw sunflower seeds and can also be roasted

I respectfully disagree. I freeze them scrape a little off ( about a table spoon ) each day. I'm certainly not making any medical claims. Been fighting various cancers most of my adult life. Since consuming hedge apples, no cancers have cropped up. 8 yrs! Proof is in the pudding, for me anyway. Not suggesting anything scientific here or recommending anything either. Word if caution, whether you decide to consume the seeds or fruit. The tree is in the rubber tree family. If you're allergic to latex, ( common allergy) you're allergic to hedge apples.

Do you scrape the outside to eat or the inside I have heard of people useing hedge apples to fight cancer before and they've always said the inside if you could email me back I would appreciate it

This not true,you eat the whole thing. They have a variety of uses for the body, they are not poison.

If a cow or horse has died eating them it's because the hedgeapples got stuck in the throat. Deer, squirrels , pigs eat them in abundance.

You can freeze them shave some off daily and eat the whole thing or dry them for a capsule I freeze them in newspaper

Can you pull off the outer peels and saute them a couple at a time with chopped garlic!!? Just found out they ate edible and good for cancers and am guessing the immune system.

What is the pudding? The inside of it?

What are hedge apples good for and how to use them

Have been reading about the horse apple is suppose to be good for Cancer ! I am not a professional but it might be worth looking in to if it's true ! And we always were told growing up that they were poisonous ! God put them here for a reason !!

Yes, people have been drying them and making pills and tinctures to help fight colds and boost immune system. Some people freeze them and grate off a tablespoon and mix it with honey and take it when they feel like a cold is coming on and then put what's left wrapped up in the freezer.

Amazing stuff. Some even say it helps with fighting Cancer

can yu eat hedge apples

Yes hedge apples are safe to eat you can freeze them or dry them

Hedge apples are edible. they are not poisonous. My wife and I have been taking 2 tbsp. twice a day for about 2 months now. They do not make you sick. My wife has found that her "hot flashes" almost disappear since we have been on the hedge apple regimen. We weren't sure if it was the hedge apple helping her or not, so we stopped taking it, and within a day or 2 the hot flashes were back with a vengeance! When she started the hedge apple again, they slowed way way down.....On a different note....I have read that they are a cure for colon and other types of cancer.....my mom died of colon cancer, and I had been having problems...polyps, etc....I went in for a colonoscopy about a month after starting the hedge apple regimen, and the results came back perfect....no polyps...no problems what so ever....these are just our results, and I know that there will be "nay-sayers" out there to say we are crazy and that there is no official medical explaination or benefit to taking hedge apple....but as for my wife and I...we have seen the benefits first hand.

We simply bring the fruit home, wash it really well in warm water, then freeze them whole (un cut) in zip-lock bags. every morning and every evening we used a cheese grater to grate enough of the frozen hedge apple for 2 tbsp. apiece. we just take each spoon full and chase it with water....it actually doesn't taste bad at all....it doesn't really have much of a taste...not good or bad...

I hope this helps