VegetablesCanning

Canning Tomatoes

We're going to do some canning this year. We used to can all the time. Our tomatoes are coming on pretty slow. I was wondering if I could can these as they come along? If so, could you tell me how to do this? I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much.

By Dot from Southwest Indiana

You can either prepare the tomatoes and then refrigerate them until you get enough for a canner full, as long as it's not so long that the tomatoes might go bad, or you can just can a few jars at a time. If you refrigerate the peeled tomatoes, you just have to reheat them along with the other tomatoes before canning them. There are smaller canners that hold 3 jars at Rural King, which would cut down on the water and time and electric/gas involved. It just depends on whether you want to buy another canner if you have a 7-quart one like we do. You do not have to have the canner full; it just saves a bit of money, time, and work if you do. I hope this helps.