Catching an Chicken Egg Thief?

Category Chickens
Unfortunately, a henhouse full of eggs is of interest to more than just foxes and raccoons. This is a page about catching an chicken egg thief.

Has anyone used an outdoor webcam to keep an eye out on the chicken coop? My hens' eggs are disappearing. I think it is a squirrel, but haven't caught him at it. Any suggestions on what kind to use? Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

I have not used this personally, but at any electronics store or the internet you can purchase any motion-activated CCTV system that's pretty easy to use.

Technically you could rig up a cell phone or webcam for the job but you would need to keep the lights on or find a webcam that reads infrared (pricey)

Not a webcam, but at Sams you can get a wireless camera that you can add to as needed. we use it in the barn stall when needing to watch a bottle calf. I forget the range on it but it has a pretty clear picture as long as it is light out.

All the webcams I have ever seen were either built into the computer or plugged into the computer.
Keep us updated with the culprit, I have never known a squirrel to go after eggs before, but have mice and snakes (in addition to coyotes, fox and raccoons and opossums.

Hencam.com has an excellent article on this: hencam.com/.../

Pets Birds ChickensMarch 16, 2018
🌻
😎
🐛
😷
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Catching-an-Chicken-Egg-Thief.html