Organic FoodGreen Living

Using a Webcam to Catch Chicken Egg Thief

Has anyone used an outdoor webcam to keep an eye out on the chicken coop? My hens' eggs are disappearing. I think it is a squirrel, but haven't caught him at it. Any suggestions on what kind to use? Thank you.

Not a webcam, but at Sams you can get a wireless camera that you can add to as needed. we use it in the barn stall when needing to watch a bottle calf. I forget the range on it but it has a pretty clear picture as long as it is light out. All the webcams I have ever seen were either built into the computer or plugged into the computer.

Keep us updated with the culprit, I have never known a squirrel to go after eggs before, but have mice and snakes (in addition to coyotes, fox and raccoons and opossums.

Hencam.com has an excellent article on this: https://hencam.  ow-hencam-works/

I have not used this personally, but at any electronics store or the internet you can purchase any motion-activated CCTV system that's pretty easy to use.

tecnically you could rig up a cell phone or webcam for the job but you would need to keep the lights on or find a webcam that reads infrared (pricey)