Cereal Box Purses

Category Purses

A fun reuse of a cereal box is to make a purse. This guide is about cereal box purses.

Recycle your cereal boxes into something useful.

Crafting Time: 30 - 45 minutes

What You Need:

Directions:

1. Cut the top off the box. If you use a larger box and would like to cut off one side instead, just be sure to tape the top closed first.
  2. Cut four, 1 x 12" strips from cardboard (you can also use poster board) for the handles.
  3. Wrap the box and the handle strips in gift wrap. You can also use brown craft paper, possibly old wall paper. Secure the paper with tape.
  4. Punch a hole in both ends of each handle strip. Punch two holes in each side of the box, near the top. Use brass paper fasteners to attach the handles to the box.
  5. Use the box to store collections of sea shells, toy cars, etc. You can also carry what you need to a friend's for a sleepover, or use it as a gift "bag".
  6. By Marie E. Cecchini from West Dundee, IL

Did you know you can make a purse from a cereal box? Very easy, cover box with any fabric, sew handles or straps on each side as long as you want them.

By Kathleen from Dothan Al

Does anyone have the instructions to making a cereal box purse or a candybar wrapper purse? I would love to make one.

Haley from NE

Answers

Best Answer

What You Need

Cardboard: Use whatever cardboard you have handy. The stuff I used was fairly thin (a cereal box), but I just taped the heck out of it to reinforce it. For a backpack or bigger purse, you might want to use corrugated plastic or thin polystyrene -- you can find this at a hardware/craft store or your local sign shop. Fabric: For a 8"x5" or so purse, I used about 1/2 yard of fabric, a bit less for the inside linings.It's a great way to use up scraps! I used burgundy stretch velour for the one pictured below, and black crushed velvet for the lining inserts. The stretchy fabric worked well, as it molded to the coffin corners without having to do too much fancy folding. The small coffin example on the "How-To" page is a silver-grey metallic taffeta with purple velvet lining. Remember, the stiffer the fabric, the neater you'll have to fold your corners!

Tape: I used masking tape just to hold the pieces in place until I knew they were aligned properly, then clear packing tape ALL over the parts to secure and stabilize the cardboard. Duct tape would work fine, too.Glue: Any fabric glue will do, I used Fabri-Tac.Trim: Just go nuts! I used a cheap bit of machine-embroidered lace collar. Beadwork, old jewelry bits, applique'd crosses or bats, anyone? I'm planning on using screw-in silver pointy studs all around my next coffin. You may want to use a small metal hinge and latch, which you can find at a craft or hardware store. Add a strap or handle if you like -- satin cord, or even a length of chain from the hardware or pet store works nicely.

Debby

Best Answer

These are not my instructions and I haven't made one as yet, but I hope this helps:

Cereal box purses are more of a free-style craft than actually following a pattern. You will need:
- A cereal box -
- Rubber cement (and liquid lamination if you want a glossy effect...best results) -
- Ribbon or colorful string (for the straps) -
- Colorful paper -
- Pictures, cutouts, printouts, and/or words to paste on to the box that deal with a favorite singer, person, activity; or simply pretty pictures -
- Scissors -
- Feathers or fur (if desired) -

Instructions (which are vague because again, its free-style basically):

1. Decide the size of the purse and cut the cereal box horizontally based on the prefferred size.

2. Glue colorful paper on the inside and outside of the box.

3. Paste the pictures, cutouts, etc. in a collage manner on the outside of the box. Be creative...design anyway you like.

4. (Straps) Carefully cut a small hole on the top of the box on each side big enough for the string or ribbon to go through. Put One side of the ribbon or string through one hole and make a knot on the inside so that the ribbon or string stays put...repeat on the other side with the other end of hte ribbon or string. (make the ribbon or string long enough to fit the length of the preffered straps.

5. Brush the liquid lamination (or rubber cement if you dont have liquid lamination) over the enire box. Repeat for an extra glossy effect. Let Dry.

6. (If desired) GET CREATIVE! Glue feathers, fur, beads, string, ribbon etc. at the top of the box or where ever...the rest is up to your imagination. Also if you desire a buckle...make one! there are many different ways..use fabric, buttons and string, or part of the box...its totally up to you.

Does anyone have a pattern or directions for making the cereal box purses that they will share? Can find them on the web, but with no instructions. Do you glue and or sew them?

Thanks for any help.

Donna Kelsoe

Answers

This is slightly different to what you asked but......

if you cut the top of a large plastic fabric softener bottle and using the bottom, cut holes near the top either side to form "handles" you will be left with a template to decorate, as a small boxy type bag. you could use beads, fabric, pictures, photos or whatever you like to decorate!

Not sure I've explained that very well, but your request has been lonely for a while.

I`ve heard a lot about making purses of cereal boxes, etc. If you go to one of the many crafting sites; you might get instructions. Try, for one, http://www.craftsandmore.com

Good luck.
P.S. I`d love to see one made up!

Another place is http://www.wackysack.com This pattern is to sew them together not using any glue. I hope this helps.

The cereal purses are fairly easy to make. I got the instructions from http://www.wackysack.com and had no problems making one. The instructions were fairly easy to follow and had plenty of pictures to help explain.

Hi, I went to www.google.com and clicked on images and then typed in 'cereal box purses' and a couple came up with pictures.

Hope this helps.