Reusing Inner Lining from Cereal or Crackers

Category Reusing
The inner lining found in many cereal and cracker boxes can be put to a wide variety of second uses, from crafts to food prep and storage. This page contains a selection of excellent ideas for reusing these liners.

I say 'inner bag' because more manufacturers are getting away from the box with the inner bag and going to just the bag. These inner bags have changed over the years. They use to be rather thin and a lot like regular waxed paper. They served their purpose well, but weren't ideal for a lot of reuse.

The bags have changed over time. Have you noticed how tough they are? I can't imagine why they're so tough, but it's to our advantage.

I've been saving these bags, thinking someday I'll find a use for them. They would be ideal as reusable (and easily cleaned) wrapping for sandwiches. But then, I'm not in the regular work force, I'm not a student and I haven't been on a picnic in decades.

Yesterday, I bought and fried some chicken breasts, my first in years. The breasts were large and quite thick. I thought I would do well to flatten them a bit, so I did.

Not cooking as I use to, my supplies and equipment are sparse. I didn't have any baggies large enough and strong enough to put the breasts in for pounding. The cereal bags came to mind.

I got one of my bags which I had opened flat, cleaned, folded and stored away. I put a breast to one side on the bag and folded the other side over the breast. I pounded away til the breast was twice in surface size. It took some hard pounding.

When I finished, the bag was as good as new, not a mark on it. So, it was cleaned and put away for future use. Here is a freebie that is truly useful.

I dipped the breasts in buttermilk and coated them with flour seasoned with a light barbecue seasoning, a packet of chicken flavor saved from a pack of noodles, salt and pepper, and fried them in coconut oil.

I saved the grease, added some of the seasoned flour and made a rather tastey gravy.

The chicken, the gravy, and a huge hoe cake for drizzling with the gravy (I was too lazy to make individual biscuits), made my meal. And you know what? It was good!

I don't cook a lot of meat, but when I do, and if it needs flattening, I will use these free inner cereal bags. They are super tough.

This is the perfect way to save your Easter ham. A big ham fits perfectly in a recycled bag from a large box of cereal. For ham, I especially like the very large corn flakes bags. It's wonderful as you have no mess with going in and out of the bag as anything messy stays inside the bag. The ham can be "carefully" sliced inside the bag, if you're just slicing a small amount and don't want the mess. You can save the messy stuff inside the bag for future recipes. =

I save all cereal bags when the box of cereal has been eaten as they are too good to throw away. In my opinion, they are better than anything you can buy to store food or other things in. They're even good to cover seeds, that you have started indoors. Like Thrifty Fun, cereal bags are absolutely wonderful!

By Suzy from Clinton, TN

I am starting to sell things on Ebay. I recently read an article that suggested reusing what we already have. From here on, my packaging material will include at least one of the bags from the cereal box.

I seldom use waxed paper. In fact I usually only use it when my husband makes hamburgers on the grill, to layer the raw patties in so they won't stick.

The bags that cereal comes in are great for storing all the leftover veggies in the freezer. I use a clothespin or chip clip to hold it closed.

You can use cereal box liners for tracing patterns and cutting sewing patterns. When cereal box liners are empty, carefully pull them apart to flatten at the seams.

If done slowly, they won't tear.

Tracing a pattern using recycled liners from cereal boxes.

I use the cereal box liners as a protective surface when children are painting or gluing. Open the bag up on the seam so that you have a good size surface.

After a box of cereal is done I save the inner wax bag to reuse as wax paper. I cut it to lay it out flat, to use it to protect the kitchen table when the kids are doing craft projects or using playdoh.

This is extremely strong and waterproof material with many possible uses. I store leftovers in them. Or open the seam and flatten to use in place of wax paper for wrapping sandwiches or lining piecrust for "blind-baking." Prevent splattering when reheating dishes in the microwave.

One thing I do as an avid recycler is to use the empty bag inside the cereal box for crushing graham crackers to make crust. I use crackers and dried bread to make crumbs for meatloaf.

The waxed paper liners from cereal and cracker boxes have so many uses. The paper is very good quality. After you finish your box of cereal, take out the liner, and open it up so it can lie flat.

It's best to do this over the sink to catch any crumbs. Wipe down with a sponge and allow to dry before using. Make sure you recycle the box, too!

A waxed paper liner from a cereal box.

Use the waxed paper liners from cereal boxes instead of buying waxed paper. It is much stronger than the conventional waxed paper.

Recycled waxed paper from cereal boxes.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I don't use very much waxed paper-usually just for crafts or to make hamburgers on for the grill, so I don't like buying it. What I have been doing is saving the wax coated bags inside the cereal boxes. When I do need wax paper, I just grab one of those bags out of the drawer. Saves me several dollars a year.

By April from NW Missouri

Answers:

Use Cereal Liner as Wax Paper

Joes girl sent in a tip about using the liner of a cereal box for a freezer bag. I use those liners instead of waxed paper. First I tear the liner at the seams, then wash and dry thoroughly. To store freshly baked cookies, I use the liner in my plastic ware, putting a layer between cookies and folding (accordion style) to the next layer up. These liners also work well as a table cover when crafting (instead of newspaper under messy projects). Wadded up cereal liners make great packaging when mailing or wrapping gifts.

By Wordyblue

Use Cereal Liner as Wax Paper

After I finish cereal, I take out the wax paper from in the cereal box. I wipe it out real good. I save it for storing leftovers, packing a sandwich in, etc. This saves me from having to buy wax paper.

Cynthia (10/28/2004)

Use Cereal Liner as Wax Paper

Uses for cereal wax paper bags. I put flour and chicken pieces in them and shake to coat. Also use for left over homemade bread and rolls. (10/28/2004)

By GayCarolyn

Using Cereal Box Liners

Take the inner liners from cereal boxes, wipe off the cereal "dust", cut them in strips and put them between cookies, meal patties or chicken pieces to freeze. That way they separate easily when you only want a few. It stays crisp in the freezer and the quality of the liner is great.

By Grannie Annie (10/29/2004)

Use Cereal Liner as Wax Paper

I use my cereal packets for all kinds of stuff and this year I cut circles out of them to put in the top of my jam (10/29/2004)

By UK Anne

Reusing Cereal Liners

I save the plastic liners from cereal boxes to use instead of wax paper. Just carefully open the bag down the seams and wipe off with a cloth. I fold them and store them in a drawer. They are great for baking, crafts, etc. I like them better than wax paper because they lay flat and are usually a little heavier.

By Melinda (01/15/2005)

A Replacement for Wax Paper

A great tip to save money on wax paper: a cheap alternative is the use the plastic bags that cereal comes in (in the boxes). Just separate along the seams and wash! I haven't purchased wax paper for 15 years and the plastic cereal bags are actually heavier than wax paper and work better!

By Kelly Wakefield (02/28/2005)

Use Cereal Liner as Wax Paper

Cereal liners are sprayed with pesticides. I'm not sure even washing them thoroughly would remove it! I would strongly caution against using them for any kind of food storage! (07/03/2005)

By Sharon

Use Cereal Liner as Wax Paper

Save the wax paper from inside your cereal boxes to freeze foods. I use two for each item and tape it shut. Foods keep very well.

By Angela from Defuniak Springs, FL (12/30/2005)

Use Cereal Liner as Wax Paper

I been doing this too and I save them up. I usually have a need and a big need when I need them. I store them in the big Ziplock bags, they are compact after you zip it up to one corner before you close it all the way just stick a straw in one corner and suck out the air. Another method is to put a heavy book on it and then puff the air out of the edges as you zip all the way up. (01/22/2008)

Use Cereal Liner as Wax Paper

I haven't seen waxed paper cereal bags in years. I do save the heavy plastic ones though. They're great for freezer bags or just about anything. (01/23/2008)

By Katie

Use Cereal Liner as Wax Paper

So if cereal liners are sprayed with pesticides, why are they being used to hold cereal? So my kids are eating pesticides with their Cheerios? That comment from sharon makes no sense to me. I've been using the liners for years to cover my homemade preserves and to hold my kids packed lunches. if they are good enough to hold cereal, they are good enough to be recycled for other things! (07/30/2008)

By cettina

Better Living Green Living ReusingApril 7, 2020
🌻
👒
🐛
😷

Generated 2020-04-14 11:21:00 in 1 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️