Reusing Inner Cereal Bag

I say 'inner bag' because more manufacturers are getting away from the box with the inner bag and going to just the bag. These inner bags have changed over the years. They use to be rather thin and a lot like regular waxed paper. They served their purpose well, but weren't ideal for a lot of reuse.

The bags have changed over time. Have you noticed how tough they are? I can't imagine why they're so tough, but it's to our advantage.

I've been saving these bags, thinking someday I'll find a use for them. They would be ideal as reusable (and easily cleaned) wrapping for sandwiches. But then, I'm not in the regular work force, I'm not a student and I haven't been on a picnic in decades.

Yesterday, I bought and fried some chicken breasts, my first in years. The breasts were large and quite thick. I thought I would do well to flatten them a bit, so I did.

Not cooking as I use to, my supplies and equipment are sparse. I didn't have any baggies large enough and strong enough to put the breasts in for pounding. The cereal bags came to mind.

I got one of my bags which I had opened flat, cleaned, folded and stored away. I put a breast to one side on the bag and folded the other side over the breast. I pounded away til the breast was twice in surface size. It took some hard pounding.

When I finished, the bag was as good as new, not a mark on it. So, it was cleaned and put away for future use. Here is a freebie that is truly useful.

I dipped the breasts in buttermilk and coated them with flour seasoned with a light barbecue seasoning, a packet of chicken flavor saved from a pack of noodles, salt and pepper, and fried them in coconut oil.

I saved the grease, added some of the seasoned flour and made a rather tastey gravy.

The chicken, the gravy, and a huge hoe cake for drizzling with the gravy (I was too lazy to make individual biscuits), made my meal. And you know what? It was good!

I don't cook a lot of meat, but when I do, and if it needs flattening, I will use these free inner cereal bags. They are super tough.

WONDERFUL IDEA!

Thank you

I use these to store things in the freezer. After I place the food in a zip lock I put it in a cereal bag. When moving things around in the freezer I don't have to worry about getting a hole in the bag.

This is good. And I would think you increase your protection against freezer burn, as well.

I use them in the freezer to separate things like pastry rounds or meat slices too. I agree,they are almost indestructable.

Marg from England.

I have never thought about it but they would be good for a lot of things especially working with chicken. I would discard it after that though. I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the tip.

I saved a cereal bag for the first time and like you said, it is strong.
I used it to crush some egg shells and it did not punch holes in the bag. I'll be saving some cereal bags from now on.

Better Living Green Living ReusingMay 9, 2019
🌻
🎂
🎃