AdviceGeneral Parenting

Children and Sports

My sons want to join the local footy team, but from what I have seen I don't know if I should let them. It looks pretty dangerous and they have never played a game of footy in their life. Should I let them or not?

By mc4lifes from Sydney, NSW

What is footy? One way to look at it is life is dangerous. Your boys could be injured or killed crossing the street. I'm not a big fan of sports, so my opinion is no, but then on the other hand you can't make the boys look like sissys either.

I would have to say yes, sport can be dangerous, but he is learning valuable lessons, running around in the fresh air and making friends, it sounds like a pretty good deal to me!

My daughter played hockey and netball for years, without injury. Unfortunately now she is a teenager, she is "too busy"!