Jam & JellyCondiments

Chokecherry Jelly Recipes

Today I harvested over 40 lbs. of chokecherries and froze them. Does anyone have a great jelly recipe they would share? I have heard that some people put crab apples with the cherries when they are cooking them down for juice or replace 1 cup of canned apple juice for one cup of chokecherry juice. Does anyone ever add almond flavoring to their jelly?

By Elayne Mills M.

Elayne, the simplest recipe is in the pectin box directions. I use the sour cherry recipe. With that many berries, I process the berries and can the juice in quart jars. I make up fresh batches of jelly as needed. I find that a double straining through cheese cloth makes a more clear, pretty gel. (i.e. strain into jar before canning and again before measure to make jelly.

Choke cherry syrup is delicious on pancakes. All you do is increase the sugar and amount of juice so that it doesn't set up. Good luck. Jeanne