Choosing Fall Flowers and Plants

Extending the floral color in your garden can be accomplished by planting late blooming varieties. This is a guide about choosing fall flowers and plants.

Q: What plants and flowers do you recommend for planting in the cold weather?

Hope R from Oklahoma

A: Hope,

As long as the ground isn't frozen, there are a number of plants and flowers suitable for cold weather planting in your zone.

Examples of Annuals: Ornamental Cabbage and Kale, Snapdragons, Dust Miller, Larkspur, Asters, Calendulas, Dianthus.

Examples of Perennials: These include Shirley Poppies, Winter Pansy, Ivy, Rudbeckia, Primrose, Chrysanthemums and Forget-Me-Not.

Don't forget the garden vegetables and herbs. Ornamental Peppers make a beautiful addition to the fall garden (and kitchen). Also try onions, leeks and garlic. Some herbs will also do fine in a milder winter if planted in a protected area. Examples include Sage, Rosemary and Thyme.

Now is also the best time to plant trees and ornamental shrubs.

Answers

Hi Hope,
Any perennials that are hardy in your zone can be planted now. For fall color you could also plant pansies, ornamental kale, ornamental cabbage and mums.

Newt

Helleborus, or lenten rose is a good choice if you get real cold temperatures. witch hazel bushes actually bloom yellow flowers in the winter. the other post mentioned pansies for cooler weather. not much blooms in the winter, so holly (female) will have red berries ETC. usually if they have it at your local nursery...you can plant it at this time.

When it is getting down to about 30 - 40 degrees at night, should you water flowers outside any less?""

Hi!
I just got flowers as a surprise for my brithday but I just saw them sitting outside in the cold. It's like 10 degrees here in minnesota.....maybe even less! I don't know how long they've been sitting out there but somehow they aren't dead yet....and they are in a vase with water. What should I do to help extend there life?? and revive them from the cold?

Hi Hope
We are moving to California to Idaho soon.
I have "night blooming Jasmin" "Bird of pardise" I would like to take them there.
Do you think they will survive cold weather?

If you water down your flowers before a frost you won't have to cover them up.

I am wanting to plant, in my front yard, some eye catching, easy to grow fall flowers. Any recommendations?

By Lee