MiscellaneousCleaning

Cleaning Antique Doors

I have a pair of antique doors that have not been finished, painted, or stained. They are just the old plain wood. They are very dirty and aged, but no soft spots or sign of bugs, etc. It looks like they were buried and then dug up. What is the best way to clean the doors? Our plan is to keep them as natural as possible with no intent to paint or stain. What should we used to bring some life back to the wood? As best we can tell by the antique store the doors are mid 1800s.

Thanks.

One of my hobbies is refinishing wood. I first clean it with a mild soap (such as dish soap) and water with some bleach in it. Often "dirty" appearing wood has some mold or mildew growing on it and this helps with that. I do that as many times as necessary until the water starts staying clear, instead of turning black from the dirt. Use a soft toothbrush if needed, but don't let it soak into the wood. Clean and dry as you go along.