Cleaning Dried Cat Vomit Off a Micro-plush Blanket

Rehydrating and removing as much of the vomit as possible prior to washing is a good start. Checking to see if the spot is clean before drying is also important. This is a guide about cleaning dried cat vomit off a micro-plush blanket.

I have an (amazing) JC Penney 100% polyester queen micro-plush blanket. Of course, my cat puked on it. I *thought* I'd managed to rinse out everything before tossing it in my front-load washer. I put it on the most hard core soil cycle, and ran an extra rinse. I tried my best to inspect the blanket before drying it.

When I put the blanket back on the bed, it became clear that some of the vomit (barely digested "minced" canned cat food) had been dried into areas of the blanket, giving those sections a "mangy" appearance.

I have washed the blanket at least a half dozen times. I've pre-treated it with Bio-Kleen, Chlorox color-safe bleach, even poured laundry detergent on it and let it sit for hours before different wash attempts. I really thought I got it this last time, couldn't find anything, so I dried, and the stuff is still there. :(

Should I assume it's permanently fused to the polyester micro-plush and salvage what I can by making it into a throw? Is there some magic method to fix my mistake? It's not the cost of the blanket, it's the waste that bugs me - particularly when the blanket's only a few months old.

Thanks!

Answers

Best Answer

I believe you have fused the remains to your blanket and probably cannot save it. Do you still have any tags from the blanket that would have the company name and telephone number? Probably not - I believe I would call or visit the JC Penney store and either find a similar blanket and get the information or go to the service counter and explain your problem and ask for the company's telephone number.

Generally, these companies try to be helpful and you have nothing to lose by asking.

Here is a link to contact Penney's if you do not wish to call your local store.

http://www.jcpe  eId=pg4004600007

Whether the vomit stain comes from a pet or from a person, you can go about removing it in the same way.
Remove as much of the remaining vomit as possible from the material. You can try spraying a small amount of water directly onto the stain to loosen it up, which may make it easier to remove.
Sprinkle baking soda directly onto the affected area and let it sit for a few hours. The baking soda will soak up a good portion of the vomit stain over time.
Using a vacuum attachment, vacuum the baking soda off the furniture.
Repeat step 2, letting the second coat of baking soda sit for an additional few hours.

After vacuuming the baking soda, pour enough club soda to cover the vomit stain directly onto the upholstery.
Rinse the upholstery with water and a clean cloth. The vomit stain should no longer be visible.

Anonymous

I was afraid of that. I will have to give JC Penny a call. Just had surgery Friday, but when I'm feeling better I figure I'll cut off the ruined bit. The cats love these blankets as much as I do!