Vomit on a Leather Couch

Category Leather
Leather couches have their own challenges for cleaning, but vomit, with it's high acid content and lingering smell poses it's own unique problem. This guide is about vomit on a leather couch.

My cat vomited on my cream leather couch. I cleaned it as soon as I saw it and used a leather cleaner. I have a yellow stain left in that spot. I did try baking soda and also white wine vinegar and water. Nothing has worked. Any ideas?

Answers

Use Ivory soap. The bar kind.

The only thing I would try before asking a dry cleaners or other professional is a little saddlesoap on a white rag. Try it on a tiny spot to make sure it doesn't do worse damage. This is a tough one. They have enzymes in their bellies that is pretty yucky!

There is no really good way I know of to remove a stain from leather. What you have tried is about it. You might get some help from someone who dyes leather. You might try a new set of pillows strategically placed.

I am looking for advice to get the smell of vomit out of a leather couch? My 20 month old was sick on our leather couch and I have washed it with different cleaners but I can still smell it when I go to sit down. It's not a nice smell. I am a little embarassed to have anyone come over in fear they smell it. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
Susan from Ontario, Canada

Answers

By carla bledsoe (Guest Post)

you don't say what kind of finish you have but if it is smoothe, try saddle soap. you may have to really rub and rub but it usually gets leather looking and smelling nice again. smell the saddle soap first....you may not like the smell of the soap!

I found a solution that cleaned 2 year old vomit from my leather couch, from a silmilar situatoin of a child being sick. Buy foaming Saddle Soap from an equestrian store. This will clean the leather down to the source of the smell (in my case I had tried several remedies including Nature's Miracle, FeBreeze, and other items to clean/mask the smell). The Saddle Soap brand I used was Fiebings. Then I put A LOT of fresh unused baking soda on the leather and rubbed it in (don't use the stuff that has been sitting in your refridgerator). VAcuum up the excess. This will kill the smell about 50% and open any barrier that keeps the leather from getting wet. Then after the leather dries for a day or two, make a water and baking soda "batter" and rub it on the leather.

The solution will soak in, so you'll see the leather darken from being wet. Let this bry a bit and just use a vacuum brush to remove the dried baking soda. After rubbing off any excess baking soda, let the leather dry, then treat the leather with appropriate leather conditioner for your couch. I used Lexol Conditioning Wipes which I also found at the equestrian store. I can't belive I finally have a couch that I don't have to hide or wrap in blankets. This has changed the color a little of the leather, but I think it is better than having a couch that reeks or having to resort to buying a new one.

I was desperate to remove vomit odor from my sick 11 year old bulldog. I tried everything with no luck. Finally, I tried mellielou's method and the sofa smells so much better.

I've only done the first saddle soap/baking soda application, and am excited to smell the results after I apply the paste in a few days. Thanks mellielou!

The dog vomited liquid which has left terrible stains on an expensive leather couch. What to do?

By Larry K. from New York City

Answers

Use some detergent, but only apply the foam

My husband cleaned the leather couch with a bleach water solution after our son threw up. It now smells like wet dog. What do I do?

By Angie from TN