Cleaning Grease Buildup on Kitchen Cabinets

Does it hurt to use Dawn dishwashing liquid on oak kitchen cabinets to remove grease build up?

By Sunny from KY

Best Answer

I like"Murphy's Oil Soap"best.It cleans very well and won't hurt the finish.

Best Answer

Murphy's Oil Soap is excellent; here is another recipe that I've used over the years....with just a little caution:
1 Qt. warm water
3 tbs Boiled Linseed oil
1 tbs Turpentine

Keep the mixture warm in a double boiler...rub the finish with a soft cloth dampened with it, then wipe the surface dry and polish with a clean, dry cloth.

Best Answer

We just had that same problem and used Simple Green non-diluted from the bottle. our cabinets look great.

That is what I am suggesting as well b/c Murphy's Oil Soap is safe for wood. :)

Dawn Dish liquid is fine. Wash rinse and then dry the cabinets and Orange Glo makes cabinets look great after they are clean!

Murphy's Oil Soap does a great job but if you ever plan on refinishing the surface the oil will have soaked in and you may have to do some sanding to get the paint to stick. I would use the Dawn but be sure to rinse it good.

I would use the Dawn; it isn't as if you are soaking the wood with this, just washing off the grease. I personally wouldn't do anything else. Just my opinion, I am not an expert on wood finishes. I do know that many products that are supposedly for wood just make it oily and gum up the surface.

I have used both and do a good bit of wood refinishing and like Wee Wilie says if you plan on ever refinishing them be careful of the Murphys oil soap. If the dawn doesn't do the job you want then use the Murphy's oil soap and followup with dawn. You can even start with this. Just be sure not to try to do all the cabinets at one time, do a section, rinse,dry and so on till you're finished.

If there is a finish on your cabinets the Murphy's oil soap won't soak into the wood and you can skip the rest. The more you buff with a dry rag the shinier the finish with Murphy's oil soap. Dawn will leave the finish dull.

I am having this same issue with cabinets. Neither Murphy's, Dawn, or Simple Green budged it. They were like this at move-in, and I don't really care about the finish because I would probably do something new with that anyway. I am at a loss. Thanks everyone.

Anonymous

I use awesome spray cleaner from the dollar store for most heavy cleaning jobs. It's great! If you use it full strength, it will clean anything. JUst be careful using full strength on painted surfaces because it will remove lacquers and polyurethanes. I also use it in showers,tubs refrigerator, on glass etc. There is a chart on the side of the bottle that gives dilution strengths, but usually I use it straight from the bottle. You can't beat this cleaner for a dollar a bottle. I buy four at a time.

I agree! Awesome cleaner is truly awesome and only $1.00. The Awesome brand orange cleaner works great on cabinet greasy spots and hardware. Really leaves a shine to the wood and I even use it to shine my stainless steel sink & appliancrs.