Cleaning Mildew from a Stuffed Toy

Category Mold
Old stuffed bear sitting in front of a rainy window
Stuffies can get wet and if left that way, begin to grow mildew that needs to be removed for the health of your child. This is a guide about removing mildew from a stuffed toy.

My granddaughter's favorite teddy bear was left wet in a plastic bag. It is now green and black with mold. How can I save it for her?

By Sue from Collierville, TN

Best Answer

Something like this happened with my daughter's favorite toy when she was a toddler. I had that terrible sinking feeling when I found it. I don't think hers was as bad as yours, but this is what I did (as I remember it -- it's been about 7 years).

I know that I used tea tree oil on it. I don't remember if I added it to the wash, or if I soaked it. I had a spray bottle with tea tree oil and water, so I probably just saturated the toy with that and let it sit for a while. I remember that I soaked in Oxy-clean. And hot water for the wash. I probably washed it a couple times.

I might have added Borax to the wash, and I always used vinegar in the rinse. I know that I would not have used chlorine bleach. I don't like chlorine bleach anyway, and I certainly would not have used it on my daughter's toy.

It worked for me. I think it was the tea tree oil and the Oxi-Clean that took care of it. I know that I soaked it for a long time before putting it through the washer. Good luck with your granddaughter's teddy bear.

May I know what is the safest and most effect way of removing mildew on a stuffed animal without discoloration and thinning of the silk-like material? Her face has yellowish-brown spots and at times, with little things crawling. Will vinegar "thin or corrode" the material? The stuffed toy is very delicate and precious.

Thank you very much.

By Jessica

Answers:

Removing Mildew from a Stuffed Toy

I think i'd do one or all of these:

1. Take it to a real Chinese Laundry. They're used to working with very delicate, but very dirty laundry.

2. Take it to a dry cleaner in the most expensive part of your city. Believe me, they clean the most expensive clothing and may have a solution for you.

3. I'd try this last and it's my least favorite for your problem: try Dryel. I use it and only send my clothes to the real dry cleaner the third or fourth time. I've had nothing, but good luck with Dryel. The basic kit comes with a spot cleaner to be used before you use the Dryel sheets. I'd be so careful of using this on your precious stuffed animal though.

Good luck, I hope you find a solution.

(06/05/2010)

By metroplex

Removing Mildew from a Stuffed Toy

Perhaps some dilute lemon juice and laying it in the sun. (06/07/2010)

By Lizzyanny

Removing Mildew from a Stuffed Toy

Soak in oxiclean. Be sure to follow directions on container. (06/17/2010)

By orugun1