Removing Mildew from a Stuffed Toy

My granddaughter's favorite teddy bear was left wet in a plastic bag. It is now green and black with mold. How can I save it for her?

By sue from collierville from Collierville, TN

Best Answer

Something like this happened with my daughter's favorite toy when she was a toddler. I had that terrible sinking feeling when I found it. I don't think hers was as bad as yours, but this is what I did (as I remember it -- it's been about 7 years).

I know that I used tea tree oil on it. I don't remember if I added it to the wash, or if I soaked it. I had a spray bottle with tea tree oil and water, so I probably just saturated the toy with that and let it sit for a while. I remember that I soaked in Oxy-clean. And hot water for the wash. I probably washed it a couple times.

I might have added Borax to the wash, and I always used vinegar in the rinse. I know that I would not have used chlorine bleach. I don't like chlorine bleach anyway, and I certainly would not have used it on my daughter's toy.

It worked for me. I think it was the tea tree oil and the Oxi-Clean that took care of it. I know that I soaked it for a long time before putting it through the washer. Good luck with your granddaughter's teddy bear.

It's worth trying mrs.Story's idea but if that mold is as bad as it sounds I think it might be better healthwise to try to find a new teddy bear that looks as close as possible to the current one.

Natures miracle the dog spot remover. It took the mold out of a heavy drape I had. Good luck. Nice that you care.

Home and Garden Cleaning ToysFebruary 17, 2011
💘
🍀