Cleaning Milk from Upholstery

Category Fabric
Milk spills can be removed from upholstery with some care and patience. You will also want to remove as much of the liquid from the underlying materials as possible to prevent odors. This is a guide about cleaning milk from upholstery.

How do you clean a dried milk stain on upholstery? My daughter spilled what looks like at least a half-cup of milk all over my 3 year old LaZBoy sleeper sofa cushions. Sigh.

By Gwendolen Potter from Raleigh, NC

I am not sure if it's still available but my sister-in-law told me about a wonderful cleaner. She found it at Walmart in the automotive department with the cleaners there. It's called Blue Magic stain and spot cleaner. It's wonderful stuff. I took blood out of a whole carpet with this stuff. I went back this weekend and they said they were deleting it from their stock. So I bought 11 cans of it. Give it a try.

I dropped a glass of regualar hot milk on the sofa which has been applied with Scotchgard. There in no stain or smell. But it is starchy and stiff. How do I take the stiffiness out?

Malti from Danvlle

You didn't say what the covering fabric of the sofa is, but you could try a soft bristle hairbrush, like a baby hairbrush, or a soft-med bristle toothbrush. Use these dry to gently brush the area to remove the stiffness. Rate of success probably depends upon the type of upholstery. Worth a try.