Cleaning Mold Off a Bathtub and Tub Mat

When I lifted up my bathtub mat, the tub was black under the mat, the mat was black underneath, and I could not clean either the mat or the tub.

Is there something I can do myself or do I need professional help?

Thank you.

Bleach kills mold. You can wash the mat in the machine. Dab on straight bleach on the bottom of the tub. Keep windows open. In the future lift the mat up and hang to dry after each use.

Thank you very much for your advice.

I gave up bath mats for just that reason.

The only way I could get them clean is to put 1 cup of bleach and 1/2 cup of Tide in the tub, add hot water and left it soak overnight.

That got it all clean and then I ditched the mat in favor of those things that stick to the tub...I found them at the dollar store.

Your advice is much appreciated. Thank you.

Pghgirl40 has the right idea. Non-slip adhesives seem to be a good alternative to using a mat in the tub. Judy's suggestion to hang the mat after your bath is an effective way to prevent mold. Bleach may be effective but dealing with the fumes is unpleasant and can be hazardous if you aren't in a well-ventilated area.

Borax is an alternative to bleach that may remove the mold from your tub mat. Personally, I'd switch from a mat to stickers to avoid having to deal with mold.

Good morning: Thank you very much for your advice. I am not as concerned about the bathtub mat as I am about the bottom of my bathtub which has turned black. I will try the Borax on the bathtub and hope that it works but the bathtub mat will be thrown out, and I don't plan on using another one.