Cleaning Mold in the Bathtub

Category Mold
Your bathtub is a place to get clean. If it gets dirty and moldy then it's impossible to use it for yourself, so it is important to clean mold out of the tub as soon as possible. This is a page about cleaning mold in the bathtub.

The cheapest and best way to get rid of mold in the bathtub area is to mix bleach and water in a spray bottle. Spray and walk away! Turn on the fan in the bathroom or open a window for an hour or so. You can rinse if you like, but you don't have to.

By Diana

When I lifted up my bathtub mat, the tub was black under the mat, the mat was black underneath, and I could not clean either the mat or the tub.

Is there something I can do myself or do I need professional help?

Thank you.

Answers

Bleach kills mold. You can wash the mat in the machine. Dab on straight bleach on the bottom of the tub. Keep windows open. In the future lift the mat up and hang to dry after each use.

I gave up bath mats for just that reason.

The only way I could get them clean is to put 1 cup of bleach and 1/2 cup of Tide in the tub, add hot water and left it soak overnight.

That got it all clean and then I ditched the mat in favor of those things that stick to the tub...I found them at the dollar store.

Thank you very much for your advice.

Your advice is much appreciated. Thank you.

Pghgirl40 has the right idea. Non-slip adhesives seem to be a good alternative to using a mat in the tub. Judy's suggestion to hang the mat after your bath is an effective way to prevent mold. Bleach may be effective but dealing with the fumes is unpleasant and can be hazardous if you aren't in a well-ventilated area. Borax is an alternative to bleach that may remove the mold from your tub mat. Personally, I'd switch from a mat to stickers to avoid having to deal with mold.

Good morning: Thank you very much for your advice. I am not as concerned about the bathtub mat as I am about the bottom of my bathtub which has turned black.

I will try the Borax on the bathtub and hope that it works but the bathtub mat will be thrown out, and I don't plan on using another one.

I live in an old apartment and my bathroom seems to have lots of impenetrable stains on the grout and caulk. I've tried Tilex, 409, bleach, but none seem to do much. I was reading one post about natural enzyme products. Does anyone have any opinions about these? Where do you find them?

Answers

By Linda. (Guest Post)

I too, would use bleach, or rubbing alcohol, which is 50 cents/pint. Bleach kills mold and mildew, just don't get it on carpet, or use with ammonia. (toxic fumes)

By Ann (Guest Post)

I don't know about cleaning the grout. As for the caulk, if it looks really bad I would simply replace it.

If you haven't done this before, they can explain it to you at Home Depot or check out google. It may be easier and faster than lots of scrubbing.

By Kris (Guest Post)

I stood over the edge of my bathtub while pouring peroxide over a cut on my foot. When I finished, I noticed that the peroxide had cleaned the grout and side of my tub where a rust stain had been. I had tried EVERYTHING to get that rust stain out and accidentally pouring peroxide on it cleaned it within seconds!

By Lisa (Guest Post)

Any acid based or bleach based cleaner will corrode and loosen your grout. This includes vinegar. If your grout was not sealed properly, you will need to clean it as best as possible with non-corrosive products, then buy "grout colorant" to cover the old stains, and finally seal it properly with a grout sealer.

As far as the caulking goes. If you are getting discoloration and mold quickly, you probably have the wrong type of acrylic, bath, caulk installed. With regular cleaning, you shouldn't get the black mold.

Rubbing alcohol has been proven dangerous to continuously breathe in. Using pure vodka, which is a pure alcohol is much safer. A bit more expensive, but the risk with rubbing alcohol is too high.

I have mold on my silicone around the bath that is driving me mad. What can I use?

By Nicola Prichard

Answers

Mix up some bleach and water and apply to cauking. Wait until mold has dissolved then rinse well with water.

Silicone will deteriorate over time. Then it has to be scraped out and replaced with fresh silicone.

If the mold was not cleaned before the silicone caulking it will be behind the bead, not on or in
the bead, unless the mold has grown through the bead from the inside.

This is my case. I don't seem to be able to get rid of the mold inside the tub wall, so I have no way
of bleaching the silicone beading that will work. I plan to try again and do even a better job than whomever let it get so bad in the first place many years ago. If it takes a month of bleaching and drying out, and repeating, I intend to let this application be the last one!

Good luck to you, as well. : )

I soak pieces of cotton ball and stick them on the moldy places and leave them for awhile - may need to be repeated if it's really bad. Hope this works for you and God bless you.

I have a fiberglass tub. However, the glue that adheres to the base has started to turn black and is hard to remove. I've tried everything, can someone provide me with some suggestions on how to clean up this ugly mess.

Editor's Note: I believe this request is referring to the caulking at the base of the tub.

Answers

Well last night I was cleaning my tub for the first time with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and not only did it clean the tub, floor and mildew, it damn near took the caulking off it did so well. You should give it a go, I'd bet it works for you too.

By Connie (Guest Post)

Are you sure this is not mildew? If so, I would remove the caulk, clean the area with bleach and put in new caulking. In fact, my husband has just finished doing that in our shower today. If this is a shower, be sure and leave the door open after you shower to let the steam out-mildew loves warmth and dampness!!

By Linda (Guest Post)

This sounds like mold. Try bleach.

How can i keep mould from reoccuring on silicone around a bath?

Phillip

Answers

By Suzanne S. (Guest Post)

I keep a spray bottle filled with diluted bleach in the shower and just spritz the shower down when I'm done using it. No mold, mildew or soap scum anywhere. Hope this helps.

By Diana (Guest Post)

Mix bleach and water in a spray bottle and spray silicone, walk away for a few hours and come back, it will be gone. Use about 1 part bleach to three parts water

Home and Garden Cleaning MoldOctober 26, 2011
🌻
🐛
📓