Cleaning Old Kitchen Cabinets

My daughter just moved into her first apartment. The problem is the kitchen cabinets are old and have contact paper on them. How do we clean inside cabinets, they smell like old wood.

BJ from Ohio

Answers:

Cleaning Old Kitchen Cabinets

I would clean the outside of the cabinets with baking soda and water. Inside to get the smell out I would put some coffee grounds, not used ones, in a paper plate or something similar and close the doors. This will freshen up the inside of the cabinets. Throw away the coffee after it is used. If the contact paper is in good condition on the cabinets a good cleaning would be fine. If the paper isn't in good shape then I would replace it or maybe see if they would let her paint them. Good luck! (09/07/2006)

By Michele

Cleaning Old Kitchen Cabinets

The idea of using coffee gave me an idea. I put Folgers coffee singles in the cabinets and drawers. I called the landlord, they said it is probably varnish, and that they could only smell coffee. I disagree about it being varnish, varnish does not leave a stale smell. Will just replace the coffee single when they no longer work. Thanks for the ideas. (09/14/2006)

By bj