Cleaning Kitchen Cabinets

Category Kitchen
Kitchen cabinets can get very dirty and greasy from daily use. This is a guide about cleaning kitchen cabinets.

If you leave the cabinet doors open when you wash dishes, etc. you won't be dripping water on the cabinets below. No matter how careful you are, water drips happen and it affects the cabinet finish.

Syd Barr

I have white cabinets in my kitchen that need cleaning. Can I clean my wood cabinets in the kitchen with ammonia mixed with water using a micro cloth and then drying them immediately?

By Janice F.

Answers

This would be the best way to clean them. If they are really dirty you can use some steel wool to clean them. This can help to remove the grease on them and won't hurt the finish. After apply a nice coat of paste wax to the wood to restore the wood.

I am looking for something to clean the kitchen cupboards.

Answers

I'm assuming you are cleaning wood cabinet fronts? Use Murphy's oil soap.

My kitchen cabinets are sticky and greasy. Nothing i've used will remove the sticky feeling. Any suggestions?

GMA from O'boro, KY

Answers

By RANDA (Guest Post)

Try using Awsome for Dollar Tree it worked on a vent a hood and cleaned so well I was able to paint it

Randa

By glinda (Guest Post)

Awesome is great, I use it on appliances, and wood cabinets. I also use it for spot removal on the carpets, and furniture in a spray bottle. (Dollar Tree).
I've also cleaned my cabinets with hot water, with Murphy oil soap in it.

I agree that Dollar Tree's Awesome Cleaner is the best product to use, however, I recommend that you spray it on a cloth or rag and not on the wood itself.
I usually dilute Awesome before use.

A Degreaser called 'Greased Lightening' from Home Care Labs worked on my Mother-In-Law's cabinets. She also used a microfiber cloth. I've used this product on just about everything. You can buy it at any Grocery Store or Dept. Store

How do you remove the gummy grease around cabinet knobs?

By Kelly from Woodstock, IL

Answers

I use a thin microfiber cloth soaked in water, can use soapy, wring out all the excess and scrub. My in-laws have white cabinets, they look new after I help clean them.

Murphy's oil soap does it for me.

Dollar stores sell a degrreaser caleed "Awesome" works great for me. You might want to rinse it off with a clean, wet rag. If you have wood cabinets. go with the Murphys Oil Soap.

Another product that works well is Goo Gone.

A year ago I covered my kitchen cabinet with a plastic cover, but when I removed it, I saw that the red color had transferred to the cabinet. I could not clean the color off. What can I do in this situation?

Answers

Try the Magic Eraser. It works wonders in many situations.

What kind of cabinet? Metal or wood or plastic??

I used a home remedy of vegetable oil and baking soda on my oak cupboards to remove funk and on a few of the drawer faces and doors it left a very unsightly dark stain. Help!

Answers

First of all, it doesn't look that bad. Second of all, you might be able to revarnish these and that would help get rid of that unsightly stain (which is really not that bad)

here's a site that discusses this process: http://www.diyn  e-or-oil-to-wood

Try Pledge on the cabinets.

Our wood base cabinets are original and approximately 13 years old. The doors and drawers are all bright white because they have a thin veneer that looks like wood, but is not wood. So, the cabinets look really bad. How do I get the yellowing stain out of the paint? I don't want to pay $800 to have the cabinets repainted.

By Ana B

Answers

Try using Kilz, that should keep the yellowing from coming through. Then repaint with whatever color you want the moulding to be, a white to match the doors.

Once paint has discoloured, there is no way to "get the yellow" out of it. You have to repaint. The previous poster has good advice for a seal coat to keep this from happening in the future. Another option would be to leave the white parts alone and repaint the yellowed areas with a contrasting colour, something that matches your colour scheme.

How do you clean wooden kitchen cabinets? They are old and very dirty.

By Barbara from Bellport, NY

Answers

Murphy oil soap. If they are really old you might have to do it a couple of times but the stuff is amazing.

For the old cabinets here, I have had excellent results using a handheld steam cleaner that I bought for about $43.00. It works very quickly & cleans so well. No scrubbing or struggling with the dirt, just aim, hold, wipe.

I have foil wrapped kitchen cabinets, I am using dishwashing liquid to clean the surface as suggested by supplier, but i can still see the finger marks whatever I do. It is a new kitchen installed last year. I would appreciate if you can suggest some gentle products that does not reduce the cabinet's shine.

Farhana from Brighton

Answers

By Carol in PA (Guest Post)

Dont forget that whenever you use dishwashing detergent, you need to rinse just like when washing dishes. I dont know what foil wrapped cabinets might be, but I love window cleaners like Windex for cleaning. Also, have you thought about a coat of paste wax? You might try the wax on an inconspicuous place first.

Best of luck

By CheepieGal (Guest Post)

Try spraying a bit of WD40 onto a paper towel and going over one of your (dry) cabinet doors. It should remove all fingerprints and provide instant luster to the door. Do not breathe the fumes.

I have seen a lot of suggestions for degreasing cabinets, but they involve some type of oil in them. What is the best degreaser for cabinets to prepare them for painting?

Answers

Anonymous

TSP or trisodium phosphate is the best for removable of nicotine from smoker walls...that would be my go-to for this. Hope that helps 

We moved into a condo about 12 years ago that was built in the 80s. All of the kitchen cabinets were cleaned and papered top to bottom and have been changed twice.
When I open the drawers especially the silverware drawer, there is a sickening odor. It isn't sewage or dead smell, but more like old wood in an old rental or something. Just a month ago we totally cleaned with Clorox and rinsed thoroughly all of the inside cabinets. In the past we have used charcoal, Mold Rid, and various odor reducing products. After this last cleaning the smell was gone but only for about two weeks. Now when I open the drawer the smell is back.

Is it possible it is just the old laminate? Is there an expert who does these kinds of inspections? It can't be anything dead because the dividing walls of the fourplex are solid concrete. Help!

I have white wood kitchen cabinets that are yellowing around the handles and cabinet edges. How do remove yellowing?

By Bonita from Flushing, MI

Answers

Anonymous

It's most likely normal finger grime from opening and closing the cabinets and drawers so just clean with a soft plastic scrubber and simple soap and water or a baking soda and water paste.

How do I remove yellow smoke stains on a few of the upper doors of my kitchen cabinets?

By J.C.

I am having trouble cleaning installed white kitchen cabinets. The upper part of my cabinets have a yellow hue from kitchen smoke. Nothing I have used can get them white again.

By Julie

I have wood cabinets with a sage green veneer. I am redoing my kitchen and wanted to really scrub the cabinets of all residue. I used a Magic Eraser and hot water and scrubbed, then wiped with warm towel. My cabinets are clean, however, they are streaked and have a white like film. Any suggestions? And then what do I use to re-luster them (polish)?

By dawn

What's the best way to clean kitchen cabinets? They are a light tan color and I want to clean all the gunk that has gathered in the corners. I don't want to harm the finish of the cabinets.

By Janie C.

How can I clean the sticky area around knobs on kitchen cabinets without harming the wood?

By laura from Princeton

Answers:

Cleaning Kitchen Cabinets

Try Murphy's soap for wood, then dry well and condition with Liquid Gold. (06/26/2010)

By Danialle

Cleaning Kitchen Cabinets

I just use Mr Clean, liquid Comet, etc. what ever works for cleaning. Use a small cloth, maybe an old toothbrush to get behind the handle. This is gunk from people's hands. I have a 100 year old house, and when we redid the cupboards in the kitchen (27 kitchen cupboard doors) I did Danish oil with a couple coats of polyurethane on them. It still gets gunky, but much easier to clean. Just grab the dish cloth and scrub. (06/27/2010)

By Grandma J

Cleaning Kitchen Cabinets

Um, how about Magic Eraser? That seems to do very well. Or dishwashing liquid that specializes in cutting grease? (06/27/2010)

By Krista Shackleford

I am looking for the best solution for cleaning kitchen cabinets.

By karen

Answers:

Cleaning Kitchen Cabinets

Call Lowe's or Home Depot and ask them. (01/05/2010)

By Marjorie

Cleaning Kitchen Cabinets

I just did mine. I used TSP-PF phosphate free all purpose cleaner. I got the powder form because it was cheaper and also made a larger quantity. I cleaned my cabinets better than I expected. Our kitchen cabinets are 17 years old. I barely had to scrub. I purchased this at Lowe's for $4.48. (01/06/2010)

By Sabrina

My beautiful stained kitchen cabinets are 25 years old and quite streaked and dirty. I've tried Murphy's wood soap and other cleaners. I would like to clean them really well and then shine them up. I also don't know what to use to shine them once they are clean.

Peggy from Centralia, WA

Answers:

Cleaning Old Kitchen Cabinets

Wipe your cabinets down thoroughly with mineral spirits, make sure the kitchen is ventilated well, this stuff smells. Once they are clean and have dried, put on a coat of polyurethane. You can either use the brush-on water-based ones or the "wipe-on" kind. The wipe-on formula is oil-based, but it goes on very easily with a soft cloth and doesn't drip.
(08/08/2008)

By Jean from Raymond, MS

Cleaning Old Kitchen Cabinets

A friend in a similar situation suggested we use Pledge Revitalizing Oil with natural orange oil. Look for the bright orange trigger. It worked nicely. Need to re-do it about 3 times per year we have found. We use approximately two 16 oz. bottles. The first time, might have been 3 bottles. (08/08/2008)

By Holly

Cleaning Old Kitchen Cabinets

I use a product called Liquid Gold. It has brought cabinet doors back to a lovely finish. One word about it though aside from it being very highly petroleum-smelling and thus a bit heady; rub it on until the wood can absorb no more. Then polish off the excess. Treat at least once a year and more often if your climate is dry. (08/08/2008)

By Barbara

Cleaning Old Kitchen Cabinets

There is a product out there called "Cabinet Magic" and it really works. (08/09/2008)

By AuntyC

Tips for cleaning kitchen cabinets. How do you get a musty smell from kitchen cabinets?

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.