Cleaning Piano Keys

Hubby hired a new cleaning service, and I don't know what they did to dust the piano, but half of the keys have some kind of rough residue on them now. It is so distracting when you play! I tried a little alcohol. I tried spraying general cleaner on a soft cloth. Nothing seems to touch it. Help?

By Jen H.

I would call the cleaning service and ask them what they used. It would be much easier to remove it if you knew what you were removing. Are the keys ivory or plastic? Ivory ones are sensitive to what they can be cleaned with, where as plastic ones are not. You might also try calling a piano tuner and ask their advice as well. We have a Steinway baby grand. I clean the keys only with the brush attachment on our vacuum cleaner, and keep the keys covered when not in use. I think the next time cleaners come, I would put a do not clean sign on the piano.

If they keys don't come clean, you may have to have them replaced.

Clean with ivory soap