Cleaning Porcelain Stove Grates

Category Appliances
Keep your gas stove grates looking clean and new with the tips in this guide. Ammonia is often recommended. This is a guide about cleaning porcelain stove grates.

To get stove top grates clean, place in a large plastic bag or sealable container with some ammonia. Close up the the bag or container and wait several hours. The grates will be easy to clean. Remember to exercise safety precautions when using ammonia.

By Sherry Johnson from Dallas, TX

How would you clean gray stovetop grates?

By Hilda from Huntington Beach

Answers:

Cleaning Porcelain Stove Grates

My range is GE, around ten years old. I regularly put the grates in the dishwasher. They don't get totally clean in there, but it keeps them respectable. Every now and then I use a Brillo pad on them. All the burnt on yuck comes off easily. (01/01/2010)

By Beth

I need help with cleaning the porcelain grates on a Whirlpool gas range. I tried everything from degreasers, to SOS, to copper scrubbers, etc. The owners manual says not to put grates in with self cleaning cycle, but I know lots of people have recommended this. Any suggestions?

By sandi from Collingswood, NJ

Answers:

Cleaning Porcelain Stove Grates

After supper, put the grates in a large plastic bag, (on the counter or in the sink) carefully place a cereal bowl with a cup of ammonia inside the bag, being careful not to spill it in the bag. Leave it tied up all night. In the morning carefully remove bowl and pour ammonia back into the bottle. Wash the grates with a soft sponge or rag and the grease/grime will effortlessly fall off with just dish soap. (The fumes loosen all the particles on the grates.) This is the same method for cleaning the cold oven overnight. Oven will clean easily the next morning. (09/27/2010)

By Elaine Van Leuven

How do I clean bisque porcelain grates on my GE gas stove?

By Kathryn Malek from IL

Answers:

Cleaning Porcelain Stove Grates

I found a product that works, or at least makes it easier to clean. It is called Klean-Strip Multi-Surface Cleaner. I found it at Home Depot. The grates on my stove were dirty, and I hadn't been able to get them clean. I put them on a piece of aluminum foil that had the edges turned up so the foam as it turned to a liquid would not run off.

After waiting a few minutes, I turned the grates over and let the top of the grates "soak" in the run-off liquid. With the help of some very soft steel wool used very lightly to remove some of the stubborn burned on spills and food, the grates are now clean and look almost like new. (05/08/2009)

By Kathryn Malek

Cleaning Porcelain Stove Grates

My grates on my stove are not porcelain, but I think you could use the method I do, even on porcelain grates. I just place a trash bag in the sink, carefully lay the grates in the bag, pour in about a cup of household ammonia, close the bag with a twist tie, and let it set overnight. In the morning, just remove the grates from the bag.

Be careful to not get a sniff of the ammonia, it is pretty strong stuff. I just pour the ammonia on down the sink drain. The ammonia fumes will soften all the burned on grease and food, so that it should just wash away in hot soapy water. If you have a couple stubborn spots, sprinkle a little baking soda on them and scrub with a wet sponge. If the knobs off your stove are greasy, throw them in, also.

Harlean from Arkansas
(05/09/2009)

By Harlean