Cleaning Stove Grates

Category Appliances
Cast iron, enamel or ceramic gas stove grates can become dirty with burned on foods. This is a guide about cleaning stove grates.

Can stove top grates be cleaned with the same methods as you do the oven racks?

Answers

You can put them in trash bags filled with ammonia and leave overnight. Wash them in the morning.

I have a Wolf gas stove/oven. I have always cleaned the cast iron grates by spraying with oven cleaner, leaving them to soak for an hour or more, then rinsing off. I found this tip somewhere on the Internet years ago. It worked great! All the grease and anything stuck on, rinsed right off. However, all a sudden I'm noticing a white haze on them in spots. It's highly noticeable. I have tried everything to get it off, scrubbing with a wire brush, soaking in ammonia (which is also a fantastic way to clean them), and plain old soap and water with a tooth brush. Nothing is taking it off. And I can't seem to find anything on the web to help me figure this out. I even called Wolf themselves. It's driving me crazy. Does anyone have any clue?

Answers

I would try Barkeepers Friend.

My housekeeper put the gas stove burner grates in the dishwasher and the black finish was stripped. Is there anyway to get the proper shine/color back (some sort of treatment)? They look all rusted and dull. Or must they be replaced?

By Ellen O

Answers

Don't blame your housekeeper. The dishwasher should not have done that, and many stove instruction booklets recommend running them through the dishwasher to clean - so she was acting properly. Mine go thru my dishwasher weekly and are fine. I also paint mine with black stove paint about once a year. It has to be stove paint (made for wood burning stoves) as it is a special paint made to resist heat.

Can you use "no fume" oven spray cleaners on gas stove top grates? Any other suggestions to remove black burnt on areas on porcelain (grey) grates and burner tops?

By Dawn K.

Answers

I have used spray on oven cleaner on my gas stove top but I cover the gas ports with foil. So far it's worked beautifully.

My GE black grates/caps are not caked with food, but seem to be graying/discolored. Are they beyond help or will the oven cleaner idea do the trick on this type of thing also? Other tips? Thanks so much!

By Michelle from Hermosa, CA

Answers

Don't know if it would help but have you tried washing them in the dishwasher.? That's what I do with mine.

I saw an article about this at one point, but lost it, and can't remember where to locate the information. This is for grates that are covered with grease and food all burned on. The article said that all you'd have to do after using this mixture, is to rinse or wipe off while rinsing, and it would come clean down to the surface of the ceramic grate.
Please help!

By Diana J. from Exeter, NH