Cleaning Stains on Suede Clothing

Category Leather
Because of the nap on suede is requires special cleaning methods. This is a guide about cleaning stains on suede clothing.

This is a guide about cleaning grease stains on suede. To remove grease stains on suede you will first want to use a product to absorb the oil from the suede.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I have a pair of suede shoes and after coming home from the family Xmas party, noticed what looks like spilled lasagne and am now just looking to clean them, HELP

Answers

Best Answer

Hi,
Make sure to let anything dry completely before trying to remove it. You can try putting some corn starch or corn meal on the stain. Then get a good suede brush and brush it out. The suede brush should help restore the nap or fuzziness of the suede.

Susan from ThriftyFun

My son "threw" his suede jacket into his locker at school and a wet smelly substance, (who knows what), was on the sleeve. He tried to wash it off with water. Now has a wet looking, still smelly sleeve. I have tied off the sleeve into a bag that is filled with baking soda. Any suggestions to get a uniformed color back from what the washing with water left on the jacket's sleeve? With dry cleaning being so expensive, he can just go purchase another jacket!
Thanks for your help,

Mrs. Jones

Answers

Best Answer

My mother had a small stiff-wired brush that she used to clean her suede coat - you can wipe stains with white vinegar, let dry, then brush - may take several tries. Good luck!

Resalee

I have an oil and vinegar spot on washable suede jacket.

Marj from Rochesterny

Answers

Best Answer

I spilled oil on my new sweater. I kept rubbing in baby powder and let it sit and then added more. Did this for a few days. When I washed it I put some of the detergent on the oil and rubbed that in. It all came out without a trace.
Years ago I got tar off of my brand new, pale beige carpet using this method - baby powder or talcum, a brush and patience. All came out also.

Please tell me how to get car grease off of a washable suede jacket.

Gwen from Hawaii

Answers

Best Answer

You might try some hand cleaner for auto mechanics. Work it into the stain and wipe off with a clean cloth. It make take a few applications to get it all. Then brush with a suede brush.
Susan from ThriftyFun

My suede jacket has a dark ring around the collar. I don't know how long it's been there as it was given to me by a friend.

By Dee

Answers

Best Answer

The ring is dirt and oil from the previous wearer. If you don't want to send it to the cleaners you can try rubbing white chalk on the soiled area, let it sit for 15 minutes or so, and then brush it away with a brush made for suede; repeat if necessary. Don't rub the chalk hard or you'll damage the suede by the pressure. You can also try steaming (not ironing) part of the area and blotting it with a clean towel.

I just got salad dressing (grease) on a very expensive Valentino suede skirt. Does anyone know what can take grease out of suede? Do I go to a drycleaner? I'm terribly afraid of putting any chemical solution on the front of this skirt.

Please help, someone.
Melissa from PA

Answers

Best Answer

When in doubt, and on such an expensive garment-go to a dry cleaner. Be sure to point out the stain and tell them what it is.

I need help. I just received a Light Colored Suede jacket for Christmas, 1st time wearing it was yesterday and a co-worker got blue ink stains on it. I have tried the Hairspray idea that a lot of people stated would work, it didn't for me. What else can I do before having to take it to a cleaner. I am just really afraid to take it to a cleaner because there are so many horror stories from them ruining items. Can anyone help please? Stacy

Answers

Best Answer

I hate to tell you, but it probably won't be able to be removed.
I purchased a washable suede suit from Danier (A wonderful company by the way, highly recommended)

When it arrived there was a one inch ink mark on the upper sleeve. I contacted them and they immediately said that it probably wouldn't come out and I could try washing it. (This is washable suede)

I washed it three times and dried it,,,,it faded slightly, but I was afraid it would be lighter than the pants.

I phoned them and the only alternative they suggested,,,,an incidentally it was free...if they had matching skins they could remake the sleeve.

This was from a large well known leather company.
Suede is really a problem!

In my case, they took both pieces back and I ordered something else.

Also I tried a suede cleaner....CAUTION it leaves a darker overall "Patch" of stain.

It doesn't look good for you and I would certainly ask before bothering to send it off and paying a fortune for cleaning.

Gloria

How can I clean ink and the sticky adhesive from the back of a name tag off my suede coat at home?

Answers

I have had really good luck with just plain old hair spray, (It's best to spray it on)

Ice cubes with harden the sticky stuff and you can pick it off. I second the vote on hairspray for the ink.

I have used hairspray on ink where regular clothes were involved, but was afraid of staining the suede

If your coat is very expensive then it would probably be safer to pay the price and have it professionally cleaned.

Suede cleaning kits are available at Wal-Mart  not very expensive and kit contains several items for cleaning suede. They also have suede brushes.

I have cleaned suede shoes successfully but sometimes it may take more than one method. I believe adhesive can be cleaned off with some of the same methods.

Try to scrape off any loose adhesive (use a spoon?). I would not use ice as water can stain suede.

You will need a soft eraser (these can be found at many stores in the stationary or crafts aisle). These are the erasers that are about 1 long and rectangular shape. I only use the white/light color.

Gently rub the adhesive first and then try using a soft brush with either vinegar or alcohol  gently!
Try the same thing with the ink stain.
If you are successful  you can gently brush the nap with a clean soft tooth brush.

I have also heard of using an emery board to gently file the stain away but this I have never tried.

Remember  Water can/will stain suede.

If it is just the name tag then protect surrounding areas with a cloth, and treat the name tag with any proprietary solvent. If it encroaches onto the suede, than it is definitely a job for the specialist cleaner.