Cleaning Sticky Rubber

Category Miscellaneous
A small amount of baby oil can help clean sticky rubber whether it's a handle or possibly an old doll. This is a guide about cleaning sticky rubber.

I have scoured the internet looking for the answer to this dilemma. Most sites say use baking soda or talcum powder. I didn't think that would be good for my camera so I experimented with a sticky pen. The unbelievable solution is baby oil! My camera has been sticky free for over a year. A very small amount will do the trick.

I have a doll from the 1950's who's rubber legs have become a little sticky. Is there a way to correct this problem?

By Tricia from Alexandria, VA

Answers

Best Answer

This is the break down of the rubber used in making the doll. It is not plastic, I presume, but the old fashioned rubber baby doll. You can smell the rubber and if you have a latex allergy, this should be sealed in a bag.

Scary what we got when we were little! The cleaning is not something to be done with a chemical. Try using regular baby power with corn starch in it. Rub into the doll to help absorb the stickiness.

Anonymous
Best Answer

Clean the Doll with a Mild Soap and dust with body Powder

Best Answer

I was told by someone at a doll hospital to use Dawn dish soap. It will get sticky again, so wash it again. Rubbing is needed.

Best Answer

My Chatty Cathy's face was getting sticky so I went to the store and purchased a bottle of 91% rubbing alcohol. I applied some alcohol to a paper towel rubbed the paper towel on her face and the sticky was gone. This is not a permanent solution. You will have to do this maybe once a year or as needed

Best Answer

Vinyl dolls in the process of breaking down will leak plasticizer.. Respondents are correct.....doll is no longer a toy....treasured likely but not a toy. Clean with 911....do NOT use cornstarch as it will encourage growth of microbes and fungi. Do not store in closed cabinets with other dolls. Let the poor thing breathe and not infect other dolls. Be prepared to clean regularly. There are other reasons vintage dolls are not proper toys for children as they begin to break down and it comes down to things like lead and cadmium.

See article for reference.whywww.neha.org/.../JEH-JanFeb2015-Vintage-Toys.pdf
You do not want children who yet put their hands in their mouth or kiss their babies to be handling these treasures. Wait till they are older....Such is why vintage and antique dolls must be marketed as for adult collectors. Put them in a bonny bonnet and kiss the bonnet. lynn