Cleaning Urine Odors from a Rug

Category Odors
A scrub brush on a colorful rug.
Pets sometimes have accidents on your rugs. This is a guide about cleaning urine odors from a rug.

My brother's incontinent dog has urinated on 3 of our rugs (that I know of). The smell in the house was terrible. Two of the rugs will probably be tossed out but one is a fairly expensive item. Any suggestions on how to clean the rug and get rid of the smell?

Babs

Best Answer

I would pour plain vinegar on the spot. It should not harm the rug and the rug has already gotten wet. When I do this I soak the area with vinegar, let sit for a few minutes, then step on the spot with a towel to remove some of the dampness. The vinegar smell with disappear in a day or two. I've also done this on sofa cushions and they have been fine.

Best Answer

Try making a solution of "No Rinse Body Bath", flip that rug over and spray the stained areas. Wait a day, and see if need more. If there is any strange odor still the do solution of No Rinse with food grade or technical grade hydrogen peroxide. Drugstore version might have unlisted chemicals that might affect this expensive rug. i have used this mix for years with execellent outcome

What is the best cleaner to use to get the smell of dog urine out of my rug and to deter the dog from going there again?

By mamabearb2 from CT

Answers:

Best Cleaner for Dog Urine Odor

Unless there is a special cleaner on the market for this, I have always used a solution of vinegar, a little detergent, and cold water (mostly vinegar though). (07/31/2010)

By Stngray

Best Cleaner for Dog Urine Odor

We've used a white vinegar and water solution to clean up puppy accidents. Use a 1 to 1 solution, 1 cup water to 1 cup white vinegar. Our teacher for puppy kindergarten told us to use this years ago when our 11 year old dogs were being house trained. We keep foster dogs too, for English Springer Rescue America and keep a spray bottle of this solution on hand. Sometimes even the house trained pets have accidents when getting acclimated to new surroundings. (08/02/2010)

By Deborah570