Cleaning WD-40 Residue

Dish soaps such as Dawn are the perfect cleaner to remove the residue left by WD-40. This is a guide about cleaning WD-40 residue.

Whenever I use WD-40, I notice it leaves an oily residue. I usually just clean it with a homemade all-purpose or degreaser spray, but I was wondering if anyone had any other ways that are perhaps a little easier?

Answers

Dawn blue dish liquid should work well for WD stains.

i do not know just where you are using WD-40 but Dawn generally removes most oily stains whether it is on clothing or other things.

Clothes - just put Dawn on the spot - wait a few minutes and wash as usual.

Anything else? - I accidentally got some on an outdoor picnic table and just used a wet cloth, couple drops of Dawn and it cleaned right up.

Since WD 40 repels water, first wipe away as much as you can with a cloth or paper towel. Then you can wash the rest away with a very soapy liquid like straight dish washing detergent or shampoo. Use it at first without diluting it with water.

Let the soap do its job of dissolving the residue, perhaps use an old toothbrush to work it in. Once that is done you can just rinse it away because it is no longer chemically WD 40. You can also try one of the powdered hand soaps, the kind that dispense like a gritty putty. Best of luck.

d