Cleaning a Microwave Over a Stove

Category Appliances
Cleaning your over the stove microwave is a routine task. The interior and even the exterior can be splattered with food and grease. There are many ways to keep your oven clean. This is a guide about cleaning a microwave over a stove.

Does anyone have any idea on how to clean the vents on the front of your over the stove microwave? I am guessing it is where the fan blows through and it feels like grease or something has settled in the vents and I cannot figure out how to clean that area. Thanks.

By Lisa from St. Charles, MO

Answers

Best Answer

I use Krud Kutter, available at Lowe's, full strength on those vents. Spray a little on Q-tips, then wipe onto grease. May take a few swipes, but works like a charm!

Best Answer

I used to use a butter knife with a rag over it. Then, after nine years I accidentally discovered that the whole vent part can be snapped off, like the grill at the bottom of a refrigerator. See if yours can be taken off. Then you can spray it down and clean it with a brush in the bathtub. A lot easier!

There are grease spatters on the black-colored front of my microwave oven, which sits over my stove. What is a good product to remove the spots? Everything I use just smears it.

Connie from Imperial, MO

Answers:

Cleaning a Microwave Over the Stove

You know what I use? "Goo Gone." That stuff will take off everything! It used to be pretty expensive, but now I think you can get a good-sized jug at the hardware store for about $7.00 that will last for a really long time. Put some in a little spray bottle, spray it on, and let it sit for a few minutes and then wipe it off. That grease should come right off. (11/26/2006)

By Ted

Cleaning a Microwave Over the Stove

Rubbing alcohol does a wonderful job! (11/27/2006)

By Annie

Cleaning a Microwave Over the Stove

Vinegar is better than any commercial "glass cleaner" I have ever tried and it is non-toxic, so I am not afraid to use it around my family and animals. (11/27/2006)

Cleaning a Microwave Over the Stove

All these ideas are good ones and will work well, but I combined a couple of household products for the best ever glass/mirror cleaner: Use 1 part vinegar, 1 part rubbing alcohol, and 1 part water.

Spray sparingly and wait a few seconds before wiping with a lint-free cloth or spray the cloth, wipe, and dry with another lint-free cloth. (11/30/2006)

By Hope

Cleaning a Microwave Over the Stove

The "best" product I've found by far for cleaning grease, old burned food, etc. is the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Someone else mentioned it and, "trust me", this thing works miracles with very minimal effort on my part. It also works wonders taking soap scum off of glass shower doors. And no fumes or odors to contend with. (12/03/2006)

By em

(06/20/2008)

By Sally

Cleaning a Microwave Over the Stove

I would try Awesome. Do not add water. You can get it at the Dollar General or Wal-mart. I use it for everything. (06/24/2008)

By darlene

Everyone was so helpful to me regarding my last request for cleaning my wood cabinets, I have a new request. My microwave is situated over my stove so when I cook or fry it splashes to the microwave. I clean the front of the microwave. with glass cleaner it shines the glass front but it does nothing to remove the grease spots left from frying...no matter what I use those little grease spots are always left behind and makes my microwave. look dirty even though I clean it down after each time I cook. HELP. What can I do use or do to get rid of those nasty little grease spots.

Adele

Answers:

Cleaning Microwave Over the Stove

Maybe some baking soda with some gentle rubbing might do it. (03/03/2005)

By Kathy.

Cleaning Microwave Over the Stove

"Elbow Grease" as my mom would say! Use a scouring pad or a rag with Soft Scrub. Maybe you could somehow attach some aluminum foil to the bottom of the microwave when frying and remove it when you are done. Also, I have seen grease spatter prevention lids that allow steam to escape but keep the grease from spattering. (03/03/2005)

By Denise Sumpter Foy

Cleaning Microwave Over the Stove

I heard that spraying WD40 on it and wiping off would work on overhead fan so why not on a microwave? (03/03/2005)

By Donna Marie

Cleaning Microwave Over the Stove

"elbow grease" is always the fun way, but I prefer to use a cleaning product called Mean Green. (you can purchase at wal-mart or dollar general.) any who, just spray it on, undiluted, full strength, let it sit for a minute or two and scrub it off with a sponge (03/03/2005)

By april

Cleaning Microwave Over the Stove

Elbow grease and a microfibre cloth will remove the initial goop. Afterward, wipe daily with a damp microfibre cloth. (03/03/2005)

By beanygurl

Cleaning Microwave Over the Stove

Try Wd-40. Someone told me about this trick and I was so dubious, but it worked beautifully. I was ready to pitch my vent hood and microwave over my stove from the built-up grease on the top and in the vents, and with one application it was removed. After applying, I waited for about 30 seconds and wiped it off with a clean, soft cloth. I re-applied to make sure I had it all, and I did. That was almost five years of grease gunk build-up. I KNOW this works, and with no "elbow grease"! (03/04/2005)

By Ronsan

Cleaning Microwave Over the Stove

I believe "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"... therefore, why not invest in one of those screens with a handle that fit over the skillet. They wash up just fine in the dishwasher. (03/04/2005)

By Marian

Cleaning Microwave Over the Stove

Have you tried ammonia? No water with it but just ammonia on a cloth. (03/04/2005)

By luci330

Cleaning Microwave Over the Stove

I use a natural citrus based cleaner that eats right through it. There are a few available now. (03/04/2005)

By Vicki

Cleaning Microwave Over the Stove

I also have a microwave over my stove. When using the stove top, most of the time I am cooking something that steams, ex. - vegetables, pasta, tea kettle. The steam usually steams up under the microwave and towards the front. I have a exhaust fan but sometimes I purposely don't use it so I can take advantage of the steamed up area and wipe off any residue from cooking. (03/04/2005)

By it's.only.me

Cleaning Microwave Over the Stove

The best thing I've found for caked-on grease is Arm & Hammer Washing Soda, sold in the laundry aisle. It cuts through every kind of dirt and cleans everything. Do wear gloves though. While nontoxic, washing soda is very drying to the skin. And avoid frying food whenever possible. If it leaves that residue on the bottom of your microwave you can bet that over time grease is embedded in your curtains, upholstery, etc. It's nasty and makes your house stink. You may not be able to smell it -- living there you've grown accustomed to it. but believe me visitors can. Go out for fried food if you must have it! (03/04/2005)

By Mary

Cleaning Microwave Over the Stove

Magic Sponge! Believe me- these things are MAGIC. From fingers prints on flat wall surfaces (without damaging the paint) to cutting right through grease on microwaves above stovetops and on kitchen cabinets! I have found a hundred uses for these things. They've made my small appliances look new again, too. I have one of those cleaning steam cleaners (As seen on TV)- and this simple 'magic sponge' worked circles around it when it came to cleaning the goo from grease off my kitchen cabinets above the stove! Just use it along with a bit of 409 or something similar! I'm telling you... I'm a believer! Buy a couple of packs though, b/c as you use them... they break apart (they're supposed to). (10/11/2005)

By Jackie

Cleaning Microwave Over the Stove

Rather than using WD40 and dealing with the smell that it leaves behind - I just tried Orange Glo. It works great and smells a whole lot better than the stench of the WD40. I let it set for a few minutes after applying it with a soft tooth brush and then wiped it with a paper towel. After a second application the appliance looks new. Good Luck ! (08/22/2006)

By J. B.

Cleaning Microwave Over the Stove

I was reading about buying products that are citrus based, I didn`t have any in the house so I dipped a cloth in orange juice, & washed it with that dried it, and washed it with a soapy cloth, and it worked. (09/09/2006)

By Betty