Cleaning a Pizza Stone

Don't use soap to wash your pizza stone, just water. That was the instructions that came with mine.

By Robin from Bonham, TX

4 Questions

I have 2 "pizza stones" that I've never used. I'd like to use them when the weather is cooler and let my boys learn to make pizza. However, I lost the directions, so I have no idea how to use or clean the stones. I think I can figure out how to use them, with all the available recipes, but how do I clean them and do I need to oil them or anything? Thanks!

By Judy = Oklahoma

Answers

Use hot water, nothing else. Don't use soap because the stone will absorb it and it will be released into your next pizza, yuck! You can put a little oil on it when you store it, but you don't have to. The oil will help preserve the color of the stone.

After washing with hot water only, season it with oil and place it in the oven on the normal pizza cooking temp for the normal pizza cooking time. Allow to cool and put it away. You really don't have to do anything other than wipe it off with a dry scrubber thereafter after baking pizza on it. :-)

Iggroen is exactly right. They do get stained, but it doesn't effect use. I just scrape mine when necessary.

Ditto on everyone who strongly suggested never to use soapy water on it; also, a pal of ours who uses them every day passes along that if you've got some stubborn left-behinds on it, put the stone in a hot ( 475-500 F) oven for about an hour, let cool and the remnants should easily come off.

Thanks for all the info. Mine's been sitting awhile & had spider webs on it(in the box), so I wasn't sure how to clean it. Guess I'll use hot water then bake it awhile. Glad to know not to use soap, I'd thought about doing just that! I did a search for it & couldn't find anything, now I see it archived, oh well.

Answer this Question

Pizza stones typically develop a darkened appearance after being used. It is still entirely usable but some would prefer to keep the stone looking new.

A pizza stone with a pizza cutter on top.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Can anyone tell me how to clean a pizza stone? There is baked on food that I can't get off. Thanks for any suggestions.

Home and Garden Cleaning KitchenAugust 23, 2011
😷
🎃
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Cleaning-a-Pizza-Stone-1.html