Cleaning a Silver Bracelet

Does anyone know how to clean a silver bracelet that went in a swimming pool? Thanks.

By kathy from Charleston

Best Answer

I keep a rouge cloth in my jewelry. Anytime I wear something that is metal I just shine it up with that.

By jean (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I had the same experince with a bracelet that I wore swimming in the pool. I bought a jar of silver polishing cream, and put the bracelet in the jar, burying it in the cream. Left it in for 2 days, took it out and rinsed the cream off, and polished it. The really shiny finish was gone, stripped off by the chlorine, but the matte finish I wound up with meant thatI could wear the bracelet again.

Anonymous
Best Answer

Ditto on toothpaste but be sure it's the the paste kind and not the gel kind. ;-)

Best Answer

I think a jeweler is your best bet. Cleaning with toothpaste and such is fine for dirt, but you probably have affected the bracelet in some way with the chlorine from the swimming pool.

Anonymous
Best Answer

If it is silver plated it is ruined but if it is sterling silver you can get that stain off with Cream of Tartar and lemon juice. Cream of tartar is a white powder you can find at the grocery store in the spice rack. Lemon concentrate works if you don't want to buy a lemon.

Take a few drops of the juice and about an eighth of a tsp of cream of tartar, then just rub on the silver with this mixture and your fingers. It takes a little time but it always works with no scratching of the silver surface. Add lemon juice and cream of tartar as needed to keep a workable amount going. Good luck.

If its real silver then try putting vinegar on it, it gets rid of rust, dust, and dirt!

Try toothpaste, that's what I clean my silver jewelry with.

Take it to a jeweler. They can tell you very quickly whether it is clean-able or beyond help. I did this once and was so delighted with the results that now I take all my jewelry in once a year. The result is a brand new look. Very inexpensive too.

Anonymous

Apple juice fresh from an apple