Cleaning a Stovetop Coffee Maker

What is the proper way to clean a stovetop coffee maker? I believe that it is recommended to simply rinse it with hot water everytime after you use it and let it dry so that the coffee maker gets conditioned by the coffee? The reason I'm asking is that I used to do this all along, but it seems that my coffee maker is getting some black stuff build up on the bottom that looks like mold.

Zonester from Vancouver

Soap and Water

I've been making coffee on the stove in a percolator for 53 years and the best way to clean something is soap and water. Wash it out really good and rinse. The black stuff you're seeing is old coffee oil and it will taste stale after awhile if left in the pot. There's nothing like a fresh brewed pot of good coffee and a clean pot gives you the real taste of coffee. I also like to put a little baking soda in my pot and wipe it around, then rinse good when I don't have time for a real washing. This works wonders.

By Louise

Brillo Pad

I used to use a Brillo pad to scour the inside of it. It would come very clean compared to what it was like. Rinse it out good.

By danward