Cleaning an Iron Skillet

Can anyone tell me how to clean built up and burned on food from an iron skillet?

By Sandi from St Louis, MO

Best Answer

I have cleaned my burnt on foods from my iron skillet by filling the skillet with water to cover the burnt food, adding several tablespoons baking soda and put on simmer until water is near boiling. Turn off heat, let sit till water cools. I then take my spatula and loosen burnt food. After removing water and burnt food, I wash in hot soapy water and re-season my skillet in the broiler of my stove.

Best Answer

If you have a self cleaning oven, leave 1 rack in it and put the iron skillets upside down. Start self cleaning mode. After the oven has cooled down remove skillet and wash and reseason. They will look brand new when done.

You can use a stainless steel scrapper or an SOS pad on it; if really bad you can use steel wool; once it's clean; be sure to put oil in it and put in oven for about 15 min; to "season" it; afterwards when washed always put it for a few seconds on a burner to "dry" it; and then put a small amount of oil in it and rub in; good luck!

The archives tell you this. Put it in a self cleaning oven for the duration of the clean cycle. Or in the olden days it was put in a campfire cover with coals and hot ashes and left to bake quite a while.

I always scrub mine with salt and a paper towel or rag, rinse well and put away dry! Good luck, they are wonderful cooking utensils to have.

There is a good website, www.gardenfork.tv, that has step by step video and written instructions on how to clean and season cast iron cookware.

I have not done this personally, but I have read if you place it in a dishwasher it will come out like a new one and you just need to re-season it. I have cleaned several using a bonfire and it works great! Good luck. I swipe mine with shortening and always dry mine on the burner to prevent any rust.

Home and Garden Cleaning DishesOctober 19, 2010
📓
🌻
🎂