Cleaning an Oily Stain on Silk

Care should be taken when cleaning silk. If you can not take the item to a professional cleaner this guide offers advice about cleaning an oily stain on silk.

How do you get steak grease out of silk slacks?

By shannon from Newport, WA

Answers

Best Answer

Try dusting the stain with cornstarch and brushing the starch out before washing. You can also use powdered chalk. I find that either of these will soak up most of the grease and allow the laundry soap to take out the rest. I've also used dish washing liquid successfully on grease stains when hand washing.

I stained a silk dress with what looks like grease or some type of oily stain. I took it to the cleaners, but it came back the same. Is there anything I can do to remove this? Thank you,

Ivonnet from Miami, FL

Answers:

Oily Stain on Silk

It may be set in, but what I use for spot treatments like that is Basic H by Shaklee listed under Home Care: http://www.shaklee.net/healthy_home101/. And it is organic, with enzymes that penetrate under oils and dirt. You may want to try it full strength in a hidden area to test. A little of it goes a long way! In fact, you can wash dedicates in a basin with 1 teaspoon. (06/08/2006)

By Kelly

Oily Stain on Silk

I have had great luck with K2R spot remover, which is a combination of solvent and powder, which you can use just on the spot until you have gotten rid of it. Sounds like the cleaner didn't bother to spot your stain, but just ran it through. In the future, spot greasy stains like that immediately with some sort of absorbent - corn silk powder, baby powder, talc, or even face powder on the stain to absorb as much grease as possible. I hope it hasn't been set by the cleaning, but silk is actually quite sturdy. And most of the time, contrary to labels, can be hand washed. (06/08/2006)

By pam munro