Removing Odor from New Silk Clothes

Category Odors
Many people will notice a strong sometimes fishy odor on their new silk garments. This is a guide about removing odor from new silk clothes.

I have a lot of silk blend sweaters and my body heat makes them smell, well like silk. Any suggestions to remove the silk smell from silk?

April from La Crosse, WI

Answers

By Eileen (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I love the feel of silk blend, but they ALL smell like cod liver oil! I always know when someone is wearing silk because I can smell it. Silk is a wonderful fabric, but when it heats up to body temperature it releases the cod liver smell which is horrid. I find that I have to wash the silk blend clothing in hot water several times and even spray with Febreze. I have not found anything that will completely get rid of the odor, I've only been able to lessen it. It's such a shame. I try not to buy silk whenever possible because of it. The odd thing is that the smell only applies to silk blend. I have wonderful 100% silk sheets that have never had that odor.

When I purchase new silk blend garments they often have a very strong odor. How do you get rid of this odor?

By Jan from Worcester, MA

Answers

This will also work; soak clothing in a sink or washing machine filled with warm water before washing. Add one cup of baking soda, washing soda or Borax. Our experience is that several hours (or overnight) are usually sufficient although some people will suggest up to several days.

Rather than soaking for several days, it is probably more effective to repeat the airing, soaking, washing, drying cycle several times if needed, good luck.

White vinegar usually takes care of that problem. You may have to let your garment sit in the vinegar for a little while,m but rinsing thoroughly in white vinegar. Then rinse thoroughly in clear water. Should take that smell out.

I don't know if the scent is the silk or the finishing technique which may use chemicals, or the smell of the dye or shipping container. But I worked for a natural dyer for a year, who specialized in silk, and sometimes it does have a scent for a while until it's been washed, but that is only true for silk which is relatively unprocessed, ie raw, more natural textured slubby silks.

I'd hand wash according to direction for your garment. If it says only dry clean, just put on hanger and expose to fresh air for few days.

What about items that are Dry Clean Only?? I bought an awesome colorful blouse from a thrift store that was Ralph Lauren. It had that obnoxious fishy smell that made me gag. First I put it in a bag and filled it with baking soda and left it there for 3 days. Shaking the bag a few times a day. 3 days later it still stinks. So I soaked it with Febreze Heavy Duty yet the smell continued. Finally I decided to wash it. Used cold water, Arm & Hammer Detergent, and Downey fabric softener. Hung it out to dry for 3 days. The dang thing still stunk. I Febrezed it some more over the next few days and left it outside in mild sunlight, early evenings with the cool breeze blowing and guess what??? It still stinks. Now thanks to everything I did the blouse has lost the bright, vibrant colors so I just put it away in a drawer. Hopefully I can find another use for it but dang that hurts. It was so dang pretty!!!