Cleaning and Removing Stains from Shearling

Category Leather
Shearling like other forms of leather needs to be cleaned using the proper methods and products. This is a guide about cleaning and removing stains from shearling.

I have a gorgeous Penny Lane coat with real shearling inside, but there's a big reddish pink stain on the fur. I'm not sure where the stain came from, it was there when I bought it. What's the safest bet to get it out?

Answers

I removed a cherry/vomit stain from my carpet by using Soft Scrub without bleach. It is worth a try.

You do not say what type of material your Penny Lane cost is made of and that will have a big bearing on how you can clean the shearing.

I would suggest you ask Penny Lane before trying anything as you may make a mess of the coat if you do the wrong thing.
Send them a message - they will need to know all about the coat so they can answer your question (a picture would even help).

www.pennylaneonline.com/.../contact

General cleaning, human baby shampoo works great, but stains, they are a challenge. You can always ask a reputable dry cleaner to attempt the removal.

If you find a good home remedy, please post back so we can all try!! I have my dad's old coat and I would love to get some oil stains out of the lining!

I have an ink mark on my brand new shearling lamb coat. It almost looks like it is from a felt tip pen. Any help on how to remove the mark would be greatly appreciated.

Gabriel from Kenosha, WI

Answers

Permanent marker is removed from fabrics and tiles, wood flooring, and photos by Sol U Mel a penetrating solution available through Melaleuca.A friend of mine also removed from a red upholstered arm chair,all the black pemanent marker that had "Gotten loose" without the cap,

By Mom (Guest Post)

I am not sure if this is safe for a natural fur coat but, U might try it on a bit not visable first. My sons were forever coming home with ball point pen makers all over their white dress shirts when they were in school.

A little bit of hair spray and a very clean white cotton rag removed all traces of ink.

I have a pale pink beige shearling handbag and have just noticed some stains on the outside of the bag. Do not know how long they've been there for. Do not know what the stains are from food, drink, etc. Any tips on what would be safe to try to see if the stains can be removed successfully please.

Bev from Australia

Answers

By jean (Guest Post)

Is this real shearling leather, or synthetic shearling cloth?

Real leather- use a suede brush and see if the stains will brush off. Try an art gum eraser from the craft store, work the stains over with it and brush away the crumbs. If the stains appear greasy/oily, sprinkle baby powder on them, let sit overnight, and brush well to remove the powder.

If you do not have a suede brush, a stiff clean old hairbrush or even an old toothbrush will work.

Synthetic- treat the stains by riubbing in Dawn liquid dish detergent, and wash on the gentle ctcle of your washer. Stuff the purse with crumpled plastic bags to retain its shape, and air dry.

I have gotten a beautiful shearling vintage coat, however, it has a terrible odor in the entire coat. Anyone have any suggestions?

Donna from NY, NY

Answers

By Anna from Maine (Guest Post)

Put a tablespoon full or two of coffee grounds (right from the can) in several envelopes and stuff in the pockets and sleeves, and pin to the lining. Put all in a plastic bag and let set a week or so and that should remove the smell. I have used this method for many things, even cat pee on a worn hardwood floor when nothing else would work to remove the smell.