Collecting Back Child Support After Death of Custodial Parent?

My mother passed away a couple years ago; it was a tremendous loss. I am searching for answers regarding me and my sister's father and his back child support. He claims it ends with our mother after she passed and it can't be paid (of course he would say that). However he owes about 40k in back child support. Is there still a way to recover this as the remaining children? Did it really go away? Is there something we can do?


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

May 24, 20190 found this helpful

Go to the Legal Aid Society. You can get a lawyer for free.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
May 25, 20190 found this helpful

Sadly, your Dad is probably correct.
Here is an excerpt from an attorney's site:

"In most cases, an adult child does not have legal standing to directly sue his or her parent for unpaid child support."

But; each state is different when it comes to child support so it would be to your advantage to seek legal advice.
Call the office of your local family services center and ask them for help.
They will be able to send you to someone that can give you a legal answer as they apply to your state.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
May 30, 20190 found this helpful

Sorry to hear about your loss.

It is best to consult an attorney as each case varies.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!


Business and Legal Legal Child SupportMay 24, 2019
Pest Control
Back to School Ideas!
Coronavirus Tips
Summer Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2020-07-18 15:03:57 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Child SupportLegal