Collecting Child Support

You can call or visit your county court house, it must be the county where you live. They should have a child support enforcement office located there, in the building. They can help you with all of the steps that need to be taken.

If you are applying for help at your social services department, again in your county of residence, they also can help you with collecting child support from the absent parent.

By CRYSTAL from Zebulon, NC

My ex is $16,000 some odd dollars behind and has been for 17 years. I have called the child support office and all they tell me is that it hasnt been long enough between times that he has paid (He was $17,000 behind but over a year span he paid $1,000 on his back support $5.00 at a time!). They told me they cant arrest him for non payment. Really? I thought this was a court order and when you dont follow a court order you are in contempt? My bad! Whatever!

My kids who are now 17 and 18 want absolutely nothing to do with him and have asked if they can change their names so that they are not carrying on "his" name. Its a sad day in our judicial system when children go to bed hungry, wear second hand clothes because one parent decides they dont have to help. I have always tried to make sure that my kids have what they need but there are times it comes up short. Where is justice? It truly is blind..and I would say deaf.