General AdviceConsumer Advice

Comparing Cost of Drip Coffee to K-cups

How can I compare the cost per cup of coffee made in pot a vs K-cups?

Simple arithmetic? Don't forget to factor in the environmental cost of recylcing all that packagin.

I think you would want to work out the price per cup of coffee made in a drip coffeemaker. Take the price of a pound of coffee, divide by the number of cups you would get out of that. However, I 'm not sure if that is necessary. I think if you google for this info, you will find that the K-cups are quite a bit more expensive than making coffee in a pot.

Google for info. It varies, but can cost up to 18 time as much. Horrendously expensive for the convenience, and pollutes the environment.

I just ordered a single person French coffee press. Fast coffee and no little cups to dispose of.

I drink one cup of coffee in the morning; that's my limit, so I want my one cup to be freshly brewed. I use an old 4-cup drip coffee maker for my one cup. To get my one cup at a strength that I like it, I have to use two scoops of ground coffee. Seems like I'm having to use too much ground coffee for one cup, and I'm not particularly fond of what I'm getting. There's got to be a better and easier way. Was just wondering if for my one cup I could get a more satisfying experience using another method. Will look into the French coffee press. Any other ideas?

Just got my French press.

The type of coffee I'm using is a coffee/chicory blend meant to be mixed half and half with milk. (You can use regular coarse ground coffee in it, though. I just like coffee milk.)

The can doesn't say how much it makes, but there's 425 grams and the scoop is marked 7 grams. This makes 11 oz of coffee in my tiny press.

Going by this: 425 divided by 7 is 61. That makes 61 presses of 11 ounces each per can, which is 671 ounces. Dividing $7.49, the cost of the can, by 671, I get one cent per ounce.

Then I just multiply that by however many ounces I'm drinking.

Since I have to get the lactose free milk, it's way more expensive than the coffee.