Corn Reproduction Trivia

Did you know, for every potential kernel of corn, there is a corn silk? A grain of pollen from the tassel must fall on each silk and travel down the silk tube to the corn ovule (where fertilization occurs) in order for there to be a fully developed ear of corn. That's why it is important to sow corn close together in blocks rather than in single rows, as this 'closeness' helps assure complete fertilization.

1. Photo Description Did you know, for every potential kernel of corn, there is a corn silk? A grain of pollen from the tassel must fall on each silk and travel down the silk tube to the corn ovule (where fertilization occurs) in order for there to be a fully developed ear of corn. That's why it is important to sow corn close together in blocks rather than in single rows, as this 'closeness' helps assure complete fertilization.
  2. Photo Location

I'm planting corn for the first time this year in my square foot garden, 4 to a square.

Good. Silver Queen is good for small spaces. Doesn't get huge. So delicious and sweet you can eat it raw right off the cob.

Fresh corn on the cob! Music to my ears and even fresher when gathering from the field as in my day many a cob never made it home. My daddy always planted 2 rows together so it looked like a thick wall from a distance. At least 10 acres of corn - hard work but we did not know it -(someone had to tell us later).

Thanks for tip as it would seem a single row would be easier to care for.