Craft Ideas for Teens

Many teens enjoy doing crafts; it gives them something to do that they can be proud of and can result in great new clothes, accessories, gifts, etc. This is a guide about craft ideas for teens.

I need ideas for craft for juveniles in a detention center. They cannot use needles, glue, or anything that could harm them, but would love to do crafts. I would surely appreciate any ideas. Thank you.

Toebeanie from Warrensburg, MO

Answers

Maybe origami would work. I bet you could find some free patterns if you google it.

How about mix in a jar recipes for a craft idea? You probably could find plastic containers to put the mixes in that would work just as well as glass Mason jars. You could do Russian tea mix or cookie mixes (just the dry ingredients along with the recipes).

Something that I have done with boys and girls, is business card size magnets. These come with a plain paper that you peel off to replace with a business card. You can purchase them at an office center. Outline one several times until you have as many as will fit easily, maybe 8, on an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper. Now, make copies of the sheet of paper. Save the original! Give the kids the papers and markers, colored pencils, stickers, whatever. Let them make art magnets, by designing abstract drawings or specific drawings, maybe just their name or the name of their favorite musicians, teams, etc.. Have them "stay within the lines," although the scissors will take care of that. Cut out the design and peel off the back of the magnet. Place the design onto the magnet. If you cut the paper too much, trim the magnet. There you have it. Original art work for all the world to see. These can go on a refrigerator, metal file cabinet, inside a locker door, wherever. Clear tape will protect the work. Art, as you are already well aware, is therapeutic, and when you see these designs, some seemingly bland, cut out and placed on a magnet, then covered with the clear packing tape, you can see the power of the therapy, and the strength of accomplishment. It's like framing it, and the kids really like it. I hope this helps.

origami,
playdoh-- with different colours and let dry
painting

Paper mache anything.

How about drawing with crayons or markers and maybe even trying to paint. Some of them may have hidden talent.

I work with at-risk youth & we do a lot of recycled/altered art stuff & our budget is zero - I get lots of stuff from 'trash' days. For instance, today I pulled some ceiling tiles from the trash that we can use to paint, cut-down (I would pre-cut) & make smaller tiles, use the one side as a cork board, decoupage etc.. Can you use old school adhesive techniques Like flour/water or eggs? How about using fabric scraps to make knotted rugs, bags, baskets, etc...no sewing or even cutting if you have the right tearable material (t-shirts work well). Thrift stores tend to throw out clothes that are stained, damaged, etc - check to see if they can save some of that for you.

How about origami? You only need paper and it can be as simple or as complicated as you like. Your local library would probably have a book on origami.

I am looking for teenager crafts such as headbands, bracelets, or volleyball, or just fun crafts to do. Any ideas?

By Lucy