Old baking pans or cookie sheets can be decoratively painted to match your decor and used for all kinds of things. Here a cake pan was transformed into a hot beverage service tray for home or office.
Cookie sheets (not shown) make a nice crafting surface for adults or kids. This would make a cheap craft idea for Bible School or Camp or just a rainy day at home for upper grade schoolers. Adults should prepare pans ahead of time.
Approximate Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cake pan, 13x9 inches
- spray paint primer
- acrylic paints: white, bright pink, warm yellow
- art transfer paper (optional)
- mechanical pencil or white marking pen
- fine point black paint pen or permanent marker (optional)
- nontoxic varnish, optional
- embellishments for rim on pan, such as beads, rhinestones, buttons (optional)
- Tacky glue.
- Spray paint the pan with primer. Allow to dry.
- Top coat with bright pink, using spray paint (recommended) or acrylics and brush.
- Choose a teapot design. (I used one from a paper dinner napkin. Or type "teapot drawing" into Google Images for simple line drawing ideas).
- Freehand the design onto pan with mechanical pencil or white marking pencil. (Or print out design, enlarge if needed. Place transfer paper facedown in pan. Place design on top and trace).
- Base coat design with white acrylic paint.
- Fill design in with warm yellow. Add warm yellow to edge of pan if desired.
- To outline the design: Load one side of a flat brush with a little bit of bright pink. Load the other side with a lot of warm yellow.
With pink to the outside edge of design, go around the whole thing, reloading as needed, outlining each item, including the lid on the teapot, etc. This works best with fresh paint that is not too thick.
- Add dots to design and pan edge by dipping the end of the paintbrush into bright green.
- Optional: When design is dry, outline it with black paint pen or marker.
- Optional: To protect your design, seal with a nontoxic varnish.
- Attach beads, etc. to edge of pan with tacky glue.
Do not place in dishwasher!
Other Ideas For Old Baking Pans:
Jewelry/Change Tray for the bedroom. Paint in desired color, glue on beads or rhinestones. Design: pearl necklace and pair of reading glasses.
Travel tray for kids: Use a cookie sheet. Paint a road design and add little metal cars. Or paint a jungle or farm and add animals.
Plant Tray: To keep your potted plants from dripping on things. Paint pan yellow, add ivy design to outside of pan.
Picnic tray: Paint red. Add thin white with sponge. Draw ketchup and mustard bottles, salt and pepper shakers on it and paint. Make a whole set, so everyone has a place for the cup and plate while they're eating!
Crafting Tray: Using a cookie sheet, paint desired color, draw paintbrushes and paint palette, etc. Fill in design as desired.
By Cindy from Waynesburg, PA
July 30, 20090 found this helpful
This is so cute for a little girl or just for home interior. Thanks!
August 3, 20090 found this helpful
Cute and quite clever :-) Thanks for sharing :-)
January 7, 20150 found this helpful
I painted the bottom side of a cookie sheet White and use it as a magnetic bulletin board. Just add some small magnets or cut some of the strip magnet into small squares.
Harlean from Arkansas