Crafty Gift Ideas

Category Gifts
girl painting pottery
A handmade gift is so special for the recipient as well as fun to make. This is a guide about crafty gift ideas.

Ever wonder what to give the person with everything? Yesterday after church, we had a ministry faire. It was wonderful! During the faire, we designed a painting. The background was pink and everyone painted a heart on the canvas. The colors, glitter, different sizes and shapes made this one terrific painting! It will be auctioned off at the Valentine's dinner/dance.

I thought, what a wonderful gift at a 50th anniversary celebration or a wedding rehearsal dinner. In the recipients home this would be a great conversation piece!

By Sandy

I've been invited to my one-year-old niece's birthday party in less than two weeks. I made a promise to myself that I would make ALL my gifts this year! So I need an idea for something I can make quickly. I have lots of craft supplies -- yarn, fabric, scrapbooking, paints, wooden plaques, polymer clay, plus all the basics. Please give me any and all suggestions you can think of that can be produced quickly.

Thanks!
zballoongirl

A yarn octopus would be fun. Use soft cotton or a styrofoam ball for the head, and cover with yarn, and then braid the 8 legs.

How about a fleece blankie. No sew-buy a length of fleece at the fabric store, fringe the edges, or buy 2 contrasting pieces, put them back to back, fringe and tie corresponding fringes together for a double thick fringed blanket. There are also lots of really cute printed panels that you can use to make cute stuffed animals, wall-hangings, etc. for her.

How about a homemade book. Use a photo album from the dollar store or ziploc baggies stapled together at one end and covered with tape. You can do an alphabet book with magazine pictures for every letter, a counting book, or even a book of relatives if you have family photos. Embellish with your scrapbooking stuff. Or make a bowling game out of empty 2 liter bottles and a plastic play ball.

Many years ago someone gave me a bread dough picture frame with my child's picture in it. I still treasure it some 15 years later.

The whole thing is probably 3.5 inches in diameter.

I made this "Craft" for my one year old neice, You go to the fabric store and buy 1 patternd piece of fleece mesuring 1 1/2 yards, then you buy a matching solid color mesuring 1 1/2 yards. You need a large work space (clean floor works best.) You need a ruler and scisors (large pair) You lay the fabric on top of each other and cut 1inch wide slits along the blanket. then you cut 3 inches long = (like that equal sign) DO NOT MOVE THAE BLANKET< DO NOT FOLD OR ANYHING, If you do that the blanket will be ruined and the fabric will be useless. Then you tie the slits together ( one solid and one patterned) Then you have the perfect blanket. My neice loved this sooo much! Good luck

Or...make a sock puppet! Just make sure that everything is sewed on securely. Wouldn't want little fingers to pop little google eyes into little mouth.

Let the one year old be the "crafty" one! I've had lots of success making craft buckets for kids. Get a lidded plastic container (with a handle is best) and fill it with art supplies: big crayons, pad of paper, finger paint, washable markers, glue stick, stickers...

I am a teacher in early education and I wanted to make all my kids something small for Christmas. Not too expensive because there are 40 of them, but something cute and crafty! I loved the thanksgiving craft I found on here with the Toostie pop made into a turkey on a piece of cardstock. I make those for Thanksgiving. Thanks!

Bec from Pawtucket, RI

I made my kids a candy cane reindeer one year. You fold a black pipe cleaner in half around the crook (about where you'd expect to find antlers) of the candy cane and curl each side around a pencil so that you have curly antlers. Then you glue little eyes from the craft store on the front of the hook. All this is done while still in the wrapper, of course!

Another thing I've done is make each one a Christmas ornament. I bought clear glass bulbs and used Cremacoat paint. Just put a bit of 2-3 colors into the hole and place your finger over the hole and shake. As it drys rotate the ball so paint doesn't puddle in one place. When it's dry replace the top and they're ready.

I also made picture ornaments with little gold frames and a school picture of each one but that was the year I only had 5 students! Too labor intensive for a large class!

You can make some darling things on your computer using free printables. Two sites that are very good are alenkas.com and graphicgarden.com. Once there, find the link for free printables and then browse what is there. You can find cute wrappers for microwave popcorn and candy bars as well as darling envelopes for a packet of Swiss Miss.

I found this site for a friend cause she is a Sunday school teacher. It has

crafts broken down by age groups.

http://familyfu  s/crafts-by-age/

During my internship I made my students hemp bracelets with their names on them in letter beads. (I had 32 kids in my class) It took a lot of time to make them with hemp (all those knots) but there are many other easier ways to make them (cotton string). Hemp wouldn't be too bad if you have a small class!