Crisp Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Vote for this contest contender!

For Sunday lunch, we used to have grilled cheese sandwiches and Campbell's tomato soup for a good combination. I would melt butter in the frying pan and make 4 sandwiches and cook them until they were browned, flipping them and flattening them with the spatula. I think that's how I warped my electric frying pan.

Now, when I make grilled cheese sandwiches, I use the George Foreman grill. I prop the front of the grill on a pan to make it level.

Cook Time: approximately 4-6 minutes

Yield: 1 sandwich

1. Place a pan or something under the grill front to make it level.
  2. Soften the butter until it is spreadable. Spread 1/2 of the butter on one side of one slice of bread.
  3. Place buttered side down on the grill and put thin slices of cheese on the bread.
  4. Butter the other slice of bread and place it on the sandwich, buttered side up.
  5. Ad

6. Lower the lid and plug up the grill. When the sandwich gets hot, press down on grill to flatten the sandwich if desired. Cook approximately 4-6 minutes or until browned. Sometimes, a little cheese gets squashed out making it even more tasty.

I have found that a grilled cheese sandwich is also great cooked in my waffle iron.

Thanks. I'll have to try that.

One of my favorite foods. And you are so right about the cheese that drizzles out of the sandwich and gets a little browned and crispy. Delicious!

Thanks, LG

I was wondering if anyone would notice that the bread is smaller in the picture of the toasted sandwich. That's actually one I made for myself using Gluten Free bread. His was so ugly with all the cheese that ran out, I didn't want it to be the main picture although he said it was delicious.

Another way is to skip the butter (your heart and waistline will thank you), lay sliced or grated skim-milk cheese on a slice of toast (from the toaster), place it on a cookie sheet under the broiler element of your oven. Keep the door ajar and watch closely: remove when cheese starts to bubble. For fun / variety, slice onions and or mushrooms and place them on the toast with cheese on top.