FramingCrafts

Custom Photo Frame Mat

Jazz up your picture frame with your own custom photo frame mat made with a cereal box! Or, if your photo does not fit with the frame you already have at home, you can make your own mat to accommodate your photo.

This is an easy and cheap, or even free project with supplies you may already have at home. You can make a lot more photo frame mats to switch out for future use.

Total Time: 15-20 minutes

Yield: 1 photo mat

1. Find the photo frame you want to make a photo frame mat for. I am using this 8 in x 10 in frame.
  2. Using an empty cereal box, unravel the edges and lay flat.
  3. Trace 8 x 10 paper on cereal box with pen and cut out. Make sure the cardboard fits in your frame, if not - trim until it fits flush.
  4. Figure out and measure the size photo mat you need to accommodate your photo. Using an Xacto knife cut your mat out. Tip: I found using my ruler over the line I drew, cutting was much easier and straight!
  5. Flip your photo frame mat around and decide how you want to decorate your mat. I used a floral contact paper duct tape roll I had left over. Cut out strips to fit your frame and remove backing and attach using a credit card ensure there are no bubbles.
  6. Optional: Depending on your frame, the cereal cardboard may be too thick. You can peel off a layer of the the cardboard so it will be flush.
  7. Your photo frame mat is completed. Ready to frame the photo of your choice.