Cutting Wine Corks in Half

Wine corks are often used in crafts. For some projects they need to be halved. Cutting them cleanly in half can be difficult. This is a guide about cutting wine corks in half.

For Christmas, I am going to make a bunch of wine cork trivets. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the easiest way to cut them in half. I have tried the knife and that will be time consuming.... any other ideas out there would be appreciated.

Best Answer

A sharp knife will do, but why bother cutting them in half? I just used them whole when I did that.

By guy (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I bought a little coping saw in the hardware store and that seems to work just fine. When you get to the bottom, just hold the cork up in your hand and you can finish sawing in half. You can sand the cut edge with a piece of medium sand paper.

By dollardan (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I have an old scroll saw. It cuts corks really well.

By Leslie (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I use corks a lot, and invested in a table top band saw purchased on e-bay. Makes short work of halving them and I get twice the use!

I don't suggest using a sharp knife as it is time consuming and beats up your wrist :)

Best Answer

Boil a few inches of water in a pot. Place a steamer basket inside the pot and place the corks inside. Cover for 10 mins. Using a sharp knife the corks will be easy to cut. I just tried it and it works. If a steamer insert isn't available placing the cork inside the pot of boiling water for 10 mins should work as well.