EyesMake Up Tips

DIY Long-Lasting Eyelash Lift

Recently, my girlfriends and I were part of our dear friend's wedding. Everyone decided to get lash lifts and lash extensions. I was interested in a long-lasting lash lift so I wouldn't have to curl my lashes anymore, however, the $80 base price was appalling. I decided to get an at-home kit, which is essentially a similar process to giving yourself a hair perm. I got a full kit for $18, which has enough supplies to do at least 6 lash lifts. At $3 a lash lift, that's a lot of money saved. Here are some tips on how to do a great lash lift at home.

The kit comes with most of what you need. Some come with only small lash pads. Since the size dictates what kind of curl you get, getting bigger pads is optional. The smaller the bump on the pad, the higher the lift you get. A larger bump will give you more of a curve and a more natural lift. I got a pack of larger pads for a few bucks. The first time I did this, I did one eye at a time. Now I do both at the same time, which saves my day!

Total Time: 1 hour

1. Make sure your eyelids and eyelashes are clean and completely dry before starting. Lay out all the pieces from your kit. Everything is labeled.
  2. To size the lash pads, place them on your eyelids with the bumps right above your top lashes. You'll probably have to trim some off the sides and top so they don't bend when you blink.
  3. Add a good amount of the eyelash glue to the pad and wait a minute for it to get tacky. Press onto your eyelid and hold in place at least a minute. Make sure no lashes are trapped under the pad.
  4. Working in small areas from one side to the other, add glue to the lash pad, wait for it to get tacky, then use your fingers to brush your lashes up onto the pad. Make sure none of them cross each other. You can use your lash separator comb here to keep them side by side. Hold lashes in place a few seconds to make them stick in place. You can add another thin layer of lash glue on top so they're extra secure.
  5. Wait for the glue to dry all the way before you apply the perming lotion. Using a clean Q-tip, apply the perming lotion as near to the lash root as you can. Don't go all the way up the lash to the tip as this can cause the eyelash to have too much curl and stick into your eyelid. Just focus on carefully swiping the base of the lashes. Place a small piece of plastic wrap on top to keep them secure. Let the solution set for 12 to 15 minutes. The thinner the lashes, the less time you want it on. I went for 12 minutes to be safe. Please use a timer to be accurate.
  6. Remove plastic wrap and use a clean Q-tip to remove all the perming solution. Apply the setting lotion with a new Q-tip. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to sit for the same amount of time you used with the perming solution.
  7. Remove plastic wrap and wipe off solution with clean Q-tips.
  8. Apply the moisture lotion with a clean Q-tip and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
  9. Clean off nourishing lotion.
  10. Use the cleanser water to remove any glue and to gently peel off the lash bump pads. Remove all residue.
  11. Use your eyelash separator to fluff up your lashes. Do not get lashes wet or wear any mascara for 24 hours.
  12. I mostly just brush my lashes before going out. No more curling, and mascara isn't really necessary on an average day. You can see my lashes from across the room. :)