Dealing with a Food Aggressive Dog

Many dogs like to be protective of their food, but some are overly protective and can become aggressive. Dealing with a food aggressive dog can be a challenge, but with diligence to can be done.

My boyfriend has a 7-year-old Lab, hound, and Pit mix. She was rescued at the age of 1 by him. Unfortunately when he got her, he was still in college, and his housemates messed with her when he would leave for school or work. They even kicked her.

She is okay until she gets around human food. She is very aggressive. She snarls and will corner you to get the human food from you. She has lunged at and bitten my boyfriend (her owner) several times that I have witnessed. We have only been able to solve the problem temporarily by guarding ourselves with a broom or the Swiffer.

I am waiting for the day she attacks me. I don't trust her, even when there is no food around.

Right now we live together in a studio, but are looking at 1 bedrooms so we can have some sort of separation. I also have a 4-lb Chiweenie. She is the sweetest and I am so scared because it only takes 1 chance for her to get seriously hurt or killed. Even if I didn't have a small dog, I still feel very uncomfortable and my anxiety is very high. I can't cook or eat in my own home without feeling very threatened. She has aggressively confronted me while I was eating multiple times. I eat outside now.

He is thinking about a shock collar, medication (such as Prozac), or training to fix this. However, I don't think I can ever trust her after seeing what I have seen. Am I overreacting? I do not know how to move forward from this. That dog means so much to him. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Answers

Best Answer

You are not overreacting! I was in this situation myself and I just could not live a normal life with the animal and my boyfriend had to find her a new home.

It was that bad, and it sounds that bad for you, too :(

Best Answer

This is a very dangerous situation and needs immediate attention. If the dog has already bitten her owner, it won't stop now. Even if your boyfriend loves this dog it is too late to correct these issues. Many vets told me once a dog bites and taste blood it is almost impossible to stop them, they will bite again.

This dog needs to be put someplace so that it can't attack when you are eating. If you are afraid of the dog, ask him to get a crate for her and keep her in the crate during the day or at the times you are eating at home.

I don't think a shock collar or a medication will correct this issue. The dog is in the habit of doing this now and she is 7 years old. It will continue and never stop. I think you need to do something about this and even if your boyfriend loves the dog he needs to address this problem immediately. You won't be safe in your home unless he does.

The dog sounds dangerous you have all rights to be scared.You are not over reacting.If it was me the dog would be going what happens if their is a child around.Who is more important you or his dog?

You aren't overreacting. I would consult a behavioral therapist for this dog.

He may need to be put on medication, too. Your safety is most important. He may have to find another home.