Decorating Ideas for a Winter Dance

Category Dance Themes
With fake snow, snowflakes, ice cycles and cool colors you can create a winter theme for a dance. This is a guide about decorating ideas for a winter dance.

Does anyone have any inexpensive ideas for decorating a school winter wonderland dance?
sam

Answers

What do you think of the idea of using giant snowflakes for decorations? You could also get some small trees or branches and hang them on. Have fun!!
sewingmamma

How about getting balloons - in a couple different sizes. Blow them up and paper mache them, stick the small one on top of the big one...you have snowmen. Put a little scarf around their necks. You'll have cute decorations for the main table. Get a few boughs and cut them so each snowman (or woman) has greenery to stand on. Have a great time at your dance!

hi, im a middle schooler myself and you could ask the art teacher (if you have one) or ask kids to make snowflakes and snowmen out of paper or card board and get lots of cotton balls from like a dollar store and use them as snow and believe me if you put everything together right it will look store bought!! that's what we do.......or have a fund raiser.....have the moms and dads and even the kids make desserts for free and have the kids buy them and you'll have money for your winterwonderland dance! ;)

Cassie

make large snow flakes out of big white poster board. cut it into a perfect square and folded it sevral times then cut out the shapes with heavy duty sissors. use spray glue then dust each one with fine glitter. use large styrofoam glued on top of each other for snow men. by silver garlends and plastic icicle ornaments. Use fake christmas trees (buy at thrifts stores and yard sales) and cover them with glue, glitter and fake snow.

If you have one main wall that will be the focas point you can do your tree branches painted white with the stars glitter on mounds of white batting drapped as rolling soft hills twinkle lites everywhere and on the wall bhind all of this alternate a strip of white butcher paper and the next heavy duty aluminum foil. Hope this helps in some way. You could make lots of german stars all different sizes. They are pretty on all sides and fun to make.

we are planning a winter dance at our middle school and my idea was that you could use light blue butcher paper and make an ice skating rink for the place for people to dance on and spray it with glitter and have fun!

At our winterwonderland last year, they bought really inexpensive little gumball machines and put like glitter, cotton, and wintery stuff inside and around it for table centre pieces

hi everyone, im in student council for my school and we have to get ideas for a winter dance. we need something inexpensive and easy. our gym is quite large and we have tall ceilings. i have no idea what and how to tell my fellow council what to do !! help please !!! email is bballinam2242 @ aol.com (remove spaces) if you have any ideas. thanks

for our winters dance we did a night in candyland, like the game it was soooo cute they had like the fudge guy and the candy man, that were i met my guy, try it one time

Instead of buying artificial xmas trees post a school announcement that you need artificial trees. That's what we did and the response was incredible. Also use lots and lots of tinsel. It comes in every colour and it's shiny.

You can buy at Wal-Mart inexpensive shear tule. If you get the kind that is course then it only cost like 50 cents a yard. You can buy a ton of this stuff for $20.00 and cut it in half and use it to drape on the walls. A great idea is to line one whole wall with nothing but Christmas lights. (whites ones work the best). Put the tule up over the strands of lights. Make sure to kind of bunch it in parts. Don't worry if the strands are green because when you put the tule over them and the other lights are low no one will notice. Make a sleigh out of particle board and a few nails. Just get a picture of one that you like and put it on an overhead to draw the image onto the board. Cut out the board and nail the pieces to gether. You may even be able to do this with foam board if it is thick enough. You can get some great foam board sheets at any hardware store cheaper than at a craft store. If you want flower centerpieces go to a dollar shop and buy some of the silk holly, poinsetta, and other appropriate flowers then get some of the cheap small floral foam squares at Wal-mart(there are 6 for 99cents) cut the flowers and put them in the foam for an arrangement. You can get a lot of centerpieces for this. You can even but a candle and stick in the center for a lilttle romantic lighting. You can also go out into the woods or somewhere where there have been limbs of a tree cut. Pick out some nice tall ones and tie with twine or small rope together 2 or 3 limbs, just however big you want them to be, lay them on the ground and spray paint them white. Once they are dry take them and put them in a cheep plastic flower pot or a box. Fill the box or pot with dirt then cover the outside of the box with tule, cheep fabric, colorful paper. :The dirt will hold up the tree limbs and make an awesome decoration that will fill in dead space. you can even hang ornaments on the limbs. Don't freak out about decorating for events just get creative! I never order anything out of a cataloge(unless i just have a lot of extra funds to do so)Always check out the dollar shops, thrift stores, Wal-Marts, flea markets, and any other place where you can find inexpensive stuff to use to decorate. Also get online and look at ideas and stop and think how you could create it cheaper than what they are selling it for. Good luck!

I am not in high school like most of the other posters here (I'm in 8th grade) I am the 8th grade class representative and I need help on a theme! I go to Catholic school :( and I want to do something that isn't dry and suffocating. Any suggestions?

I'm on student congress and it is my responsibility this year to design the Winterfest dance at our high school. Well, since pretty much every idea has already been taken by previous classes, I am stumped, and the dance is just around the corner. The theme is Winter, and I would greatly appreciate it if you gave me some tips on how we could decorate the halls/cafeteria/and commons. Thank You.

Jessica from Michigan

Jessica from Michigan

Answers:

Decorating A High School Dance With A Winter Theme

This is more of a decorating idea. You can make ice lanterns from ice cream buckets. Fill the ice cream buckets full of water and place in the freezer. You can put pine branches and such in there also to add to the decor. You will need to freeze them for 12-15 hrs. Place them in a deep freeze with the lids on. When the 12-15 hrs have passed, open the lid and punch a hole in the top of the ice and drain out the excess water. The water should have frozen to the sides of the bucket and the bottom. Carefully carve out an opening on the top. Let it sit for a bit on the counter top and take it out of the ice cream bucket. These will need to be placed in the freezer to "cure" for at least 24 hrs.

If you live in a cold climate these are nice to line the walkway up to the door. Place a candle in each one and light. These can be placed indoors for decorations also. You will need to place them on a tray or cookie sheet to catch the water. You can also use disposable diapers under each of the lanterns on top of the cookie sheet to catch the water. Cover the diapers or cookie sheets with shredded paper and VOILA! A unique and inexpensive decoration! (12/27/2004)

By SAndy

We rented an archway and then draped blue shimmery fabric around the posts, and then strung white mini lights over the fabric and attached little silver snowflakes to it as well. It looked really good! (12/13/2005)

By allie

You could decorate the main dance floor as an ice rink. Blue lights, pictures of people as if they're looking over the guardrail, and a little "booth" where there's a picture of someone distributing ice skates. Or there's "the north pole," with polar bears, penguins, and other little winter creatures. It's pretty much a good idea for the more relaxed scene of a cafeteria, or dining area. (10/10/2006)

By janelle

Hey! Our school is having a winter semi formal in order to raise some money. Anyway, I'm really glad I found this. You guys have some great ideas! Here are some theme names I thought of:

Winter Wonderland (very cliche)
A Mid-Winter's Night Dream
Frozen in Time
Another Snowy Evening
Frosty Fairytale
Dancing in the Snow
Sweet Snowy Surrender? Serenade? Social?
Icy Impressions (10/16/2006)

By Mary

We as well are having a "Snow Ball" for Sadies. If your council has money, go to Stumps, it's a decoration place to buy stuff from and they have a ton of winter decor. For our dance we are getting fog machines for the dance floor so it's like dancing in the snow. Also, lights on the floor is a BAD idea. Students step on it and with girls going barefoot, it gets ugly. We also have connections with ice sculpting companies who are making us large ice snowmen for blockades.

Have a day where your council just cuts out snowflakes, you will need lots of them and making them yourself with paper saves money. If you have high ceilings, try draping it out of reach from the ceiling. You can use dowel rods to drape it over, it makes the ceiling lower and a little more homey. You can use a plastic table cloth which is cheap. Another thing we have learned is less is more. Don't waste time on small projects students won't see, but big things everyone will be amazed by. (11/29/2006)

By STUCO REP

Our Spirit Council is having a Semi-Formal dance before Christmas, and to decorate we're getting helium filled balloons and attaching long strings with tin foil stars at the end and letting the balloons float to the ceiling so the stars will hang down! We're going to have a balloon drop in the middle of the ceiling to drop about 100 balloons in the middle of the dance! In the entry way we're going to make a skating pond scene and have stars and lights everywhere. (12/01/2006)

By emily

In order to raise money, our student council has guys and girls sign up to run for Mr. and Mrs. Merry Christmas. The boy and girl who collect the most money are crowned at the Winter Formal. Last year we raised over $1,000 from this, not including ticket sales. (12/11/2006)

By Jan

Check out www.Shindigz.com They have great pictures for themed parties. I get a magazine at my house. It's awesome. (11/13/2007)

By Julie

I went online and printed off snowflake templates and had people cut them out. We had about 3000. I then hung 2-3 on one long string of fishing line and tacked them to the ceiling at varying lengths, so it looks like it's snowing. I also got beanbag filler (tiny little polystyrene balls) and covered the floor with it and sheets of cotton wool to look like snow and put that around doorways, tables etc. We had loads to artificial trees colored in snow, I also sprayed snow on the windows. We also had Christmas wreaths everywhere. We strung bean bag filler balls together like a necklace onto a fishing line, and hung them from the ceiling too. We had a ball, and it is so cheap. (12/05/2007)

By Michelle

Hello! I am a freshman in high school and we just got done with our Winter Formal. Our high school schedule is that the sophomores have to set-up the Winter Formal for this year. Well, this year they did a bad job. To make yours better, my tips are:

1. Don't have the decorations too dark, no one wants to be depressed while at a formal dance.
2. Have a casual theme like: Winter in Times Square or Winter in London, or something casual and classy.
3. Stick with warm colors for decorations: blue and white I think work the best!
4. Have a lot of hanging balloons and archways-they are cheap and fun!
5. Don't have black-out or white-out for a dance, if you have a tight time limit. The hardest thing to do is find a dress based on the theme of the dance. If you already have a black-out or white-out dance, post-it and advertise it soon. The sooner is better!
6. Have lots of people help and make the best out of it!

I hope I was helpful! (01/22/2008)

By Michaela

I am a 35 yr. old mom with five little children and I decorate for a lot of youth activities. I actually have a Senior from my church coming over today for ideas for their Homecoming. I saw your post so I just thought I would respond.

For a winter theme, you could do white batting from the fabric store (comes in rolls) for snow. An inexpensive way to add drama is rolls of vinyl table covering that you get at a party store. You can get it in any color on big rolls from about $13.00 - $16.00 per roll and it looks like fabric when you drape it (and it goes a long ways).

You could do whites, silvers, soft blues. Paper lanterns (they take batteries) could be hung from ceilings and they start at $2.50 per lantern. You could mix snowflakes among the lanterns.

If you want to go inexpensive, you could hang snowflakes around with glitter on them, just hang them from fish wire. Something that would be cool is hang strands of lights from the ceiling straight down throughout the gym. Most people would let you borrow them from their Christmas decor. You could cut branches from trees that don't have leaves and use plaster from the hardware store and find some inexpensive pots and put the branches in pots and cove branches with lights. You could also paint the branches white for a real white winter look.

Hopefully some of these ideas helped. If you need any more ideas I could think of some more. Good Luck! (09/10/2008)

By shanna

We did 'Superman's Ice Castle.' See attachment. This is the Ice Cave set design we did for Simon Posford and Hallucinogen after party in NYC 2001. Copyright Burning Elf.

Feel free to use inspiration. (01/09/2009)

By Lori NYC

RE: Decorating A High School Dance With A Winter Theme