Detecting Counterfeit Money

There are ways to make sure you are receiving genuine currency. This guide is about detecting counterfeit money.

I had to learn this tip the hard way. It cost me $20.00 but I'll share it with you for free.

If you are: planning a yard sale, selling items in the paper, selling vegetables or fruit, from home, planning a trip to theme park or fair, or buying at a weekend flea market/antique shop hunter, buy a $3.00 counterfeit money marker.

I lost $20 or more at my yard sale last weekend. I'm sure they bought a $1 item and I gave back $19 in change. A loss of at least $38. total. It never crossed my mind while preparing for my sale. Funny money is on the rise, and these are prime target spots to pass them.

My story was printed in local news paper to raise community awareness.

By igaragesale from Cabot, AR

I have a small battery operated special money checker light that when you shine it on the bill it shows little squiggle marks in the bill that you can not see with the human eye. If they are not there when you pass the light over it, it is a fake.

Invest in a Counterfeit Money Checker

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 3

Where would I buy one for my upcoming yard sale?
Thank you for your time.

By Lorie from Central area, FL

Answers

You can buy these pens at any large stationary store like Staples.

Definitely at Staples; Dri Mark Counterfeit Money Detector Pen, $4.29 for one, or package of 3 for $9.99.

Any office supply store can order them for you with overnight or a few days notice, even if they don't have them in stock. Just ask a friendly clerk or small business owner! The good ones will be happy to help. :)

Counterfeit pens don't always work! We used one at my workplace and one time it didn't show that the bill was counterfeit. Here's a surefire way to tell if a bill is counterfeit or not without the person even knowing that you are checking it. Just run your fingernail over the section of the bill that is the President's suit or clothes. If you feel ridges, it's a real bill. If it feels smooth, it's counterfeit. A policeman showed me this trick and it works with old and new bills. We found more counterfeit bills this way than we ever did with the pens!